New Amazon Owner!!!

KawaiiBabydoll

Apr 11, 2020
Media
New amazon owner and forum member
Hello everyone i hv recently adopted a female blue fronted amazon they think shes somewhere around 30 yo but unsure as she has had 2 previous owners before me. She seems to be doing ok but i want her to be at her best. Any tips or advice on bonding, routine, training, or recipes let me know im so excited to hv her in my life n id love to hear about everyone elses experience and stories about their own feather babies

"Birbs Please!:
:green:

Welcome aboard, and thank you for adopting an older bird! They deserve a chance in life for a loving, forever home. All of mine have been rescues, and my first larger parrot was a BFA. I loved him dearly, but sadly, I had no idea how much I didn't know, and he passed a few years ago, likely due to my own ignorance. I've researched like crazy since then. I'm by no means an expert, but I've learned a lot, and at least now I know what to look for, and where to find answers. This forum is an amazing resource, and the best family of parrot people you could find. No one judges, and everyone is happy to help in any way we can. So, please, if you ever have questions, you need only ask.

Is this your first Amazon or parrot, or do you have experience being owned by one?

A great place to start, is in the Amazon sub forum. The stickies at the top about Amazon body language, and also I love Amazons is a huge amount of information on a variety of subjects. They're great reads, and a good idea to read them aloud to your new girl, serving two purposes- You get lots of information, and your new family member gets more comfortable with you and your voice. It's a win, win!

Also, we love pictures here if you want to share :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, deep respect for adopting an older bird. They often have accumulated "baggage" as behaviors from multiple homes. As the "honeymoon" period progresses, the full spectrum of your amazon will appear.

To supplement the aforementioned Amazon Forum "sticky" threads, this is a favorite for establishing trust and bonding: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

One of my favorites from the Parrot Food, Recipes, and Diet Forum: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html Other "stickies" of merit as well.

Good luck, we have a wealth of Amazon parronts eager to share advice!

Welcome to Parrot Forum and the Amazon sub-Forum.
But as well, welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Amazons tend to want you to know what they are telling you as part of their Body Language, fail to know the basics and you could easily be bitten for not being attentive. After you have the basics down, then go onto learn 'your' Amazon's additional and specific language will have you on the inside and understanding the depth of information they are providing. You may be surprised at just how much they informing you.

Again, welcome!

Welcome and be welcomed. Something that has not been mentioned - hormonal mating season. Every parrot goes thru a mating season on a yearly basis ( a few have multiple ones but not amazons). Since your 'zon is 30 yrs old he will not be subject to the huge influx of hormones that comes when babies hit puberty and they basically loose their minds. Your adult will still have a mating season and lots of parrots exhibit a change in personality, especially members of the hot 3 ( your blue front is one of them). Generally in the north this starts at the end of winter to mid-spring. It varies with the individual as far as the severity of it. Sudden mood changes, ie becoming nippy/bitey (and then switching back), louder for longer, maybe not liking their favorite person, regurgitating, and butt rubbing (which is avian masturbation). You can minimize how much mating season affects your amazon, but never eliminate it.

1. No tickling or scratching anywhere but the head and neck
2. Dont allow any nesting materials, like shredded paper or cloth
3 . At least 12 hours of quite uninterrupted sleep ( or keep them on a natural day/nite schedule)
4. No soft warm mushy meals, like sweet potatoes - too much like regurgitated food
5. No dark hidey holes , like under the sofa or in closets, drawers and nooks

During mating season its even more important to know and look for amazon body language - its going to save you many bites and bad feelings. They literally go from blood thirsty flying buzz saws to your ol' buddy in seconds, and they have no idea why. If your not 100% sure of your new amazon, this is not the time to have them on your shoulder, as a hormone driven nut case is in close proximity to face, ears, lips and an amazon bite can cause a severe injury, needing stitches or more. Wait til mating season is over and establish your relationship with him and be secure in his presence on your shoulder.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back