Need help and recomendations

Brett_5s

Mar 28, 2017
I am thinking of getting a Hahn's macaw egg. How long does it take to hatch? How do I feed it? How much do I need to care for it? And when I go back to school will it act out, or get lonely? And what would I do to help that?

Last edited:
Good news first! Hello and welcome to the forums, so glad you joined us! We would love to share your journey and help you prepare for a feathered friend.

Bad news! Don't do it, selling parrot eggs to unsuspecting birdlovers is an old and amazingly still popular scam. The eggs are seldom viable, conditions would have to be perfect to produce a hatchling. Feeding a newly hatched chick of any species requires a great deal of skill, knowledge and even then the odds aren't in your favor. The experience is likely to cost you far more in dollars and heartbreak than you could ever hope to gain.

I would do more research, check with local breeders, maybe visit a few rescues where they will allow you to visit various species, you may even want to volunteer. There is a wealth of opportunities to adopt or buy from a reputable breeder, you'll be much happier with the outcome.

Agreed; only evil people sell parrot eggs. Selling unweaned babies is extremely unethical and cruel, and selling an egg would be the most extreme version of that, except that 90% of the time they aren't even parrot eggs, or aren't fertile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I agree with the others. Don't do it. The chances of it hatching are just about zero. And if is did, the chances of him dying are about 100% if you've never raised a baby before.
Allee's suggestion to volunteer with a rescue is exactly right. Get some experience before getting a bird to make sure you are willing and able to do all that is required to keep them - and it's a lot.

Most Reactions

Back