Need Grey Peoples Help - Plucking Question

greylover74

Aug 30, 2012
Hi - I am new to this forum and need your help and advice. I am looking to adopt a congo african grey and need your advice as I'm fairly new to the grey world. I have found a grey that is in need of a home and am considering adopting her but she is a plucker. She supposedly was from a home where they did daycare in the home and lots of chaos with kids and pets and didn't get attention or a good diet. What I need your experienced thoughts on based on the pictures I will post is will this greys feathers grow back or are the follicles too damaged? She's supposedly 10 years old and the woman who has had her for 5 months (rescued her from bad home but now says she is going back to work and doesn't have time for her) says she sprays her with aloe vera and red palm oil to help with the feather growth, which I've never heard of. She says bird was totally bald when she got it and in the 5 months she's as the pictures show. I just don't know enough about the plucking to know if from these pictures the feathers will grow back. Please help!! Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• bella1.jpeg
    bella1.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 302
  • bella2.jpg
    bella2.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 289
  • bella4.jpg
    bella4.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 262
  • bella5.jpg
    bella5.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 284
  • bella7.jpeg
    bella7.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 264
Hey and welcome to the forum. I hope things work out and you can give this bird a good home where you both can be happy. I'm not a CAG owner but do have breeder TAGs who had plucking issues when i got them years ago.They;re completely feathered now but still stress easily. When you visited where there plucked feathers on the cage bottom, the floor ? If she's still plucking, which it looks like, then i have doubts about things changing in your care. They might, but i doubt he'll ever be completely feathered,IMO. If you can live with that, then he could still be a happy bird. He just happens to have a habit of plucking his feathers. Maybe a CAG owner who has dealt with this could offer more insight. There's tons of different collars ,sprays,different toys, that might help , but i'm not the best advice on that. Good luck and hope things work out.

Most Reactions

Back