Need Advice on my baby Catalina

taniaandkids

Sep 6, 2015
Jacksonville, Fl
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
When I get home, come in door my 11week old Catalina starts screaming. For the most of the time it's when I get home and I'm trying to hurry and feed him.
After he eats, I try not to hold him due to his crop being so full, but he is demanding it with screaming.... Any advice on this?

Ahhh, they learn so young to manipulate!

He loves and misses you. This is the perfect time for quality bonding.

My advice ,[hes so young].Still a insecure baby (that wants to be held and fed.] Macaws are about 6 months before fully weaned. Since you have taken him on so young . Your going to have to take a different approach . Its going to be YOUR job to teach him to be a confident bird . So for now hold him and love him [hes just a baby :)].Also is he getting enough feedings while your away. That could be why hes screaming [your going to have to figure it out].

I agree with Steve here. They 'train us' from day #1...or at least they try.

Yes, you must be careful holding him after he's been fed, but an hour or so afterwards, I think it would be perfectly fine to snuggle gently with him, and to carry him around. They NEED lovin', and lots of it. :)

Thx for the input.....you guys are the best!!!! Love this forum.....
He is not eating good still, so when it is feeding time he starts off eating well but will only take about half his usual amount...at lest one of his feedings a day he is taking the 120-130cc's....he is about to fledge, so I am just waiting for the moment....I'm watching his weight, to make sure he is not falling below the 10%, so far so good, he is just refusing the feeding....should I try and drop him to two feeding a day?

Yes, Tania, try dropping him down to 2. He may sit still long enough for two feeding to take it all in. :) Just continue to keep track of his weight.

Gator sends kiss and hugs....thx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 176
He was still a little damp from a spray down....I use the rainforest spray by king cages, I love the way it smells....I have been using it between bath times...lol

I have dropped Gator down to two feedings and he seems to be taking all of the night feeding, and around half of the morning feeding...So, he is eating actually a little more on the two feedings....I think he is weaning self down some, he is crunching on something at least every hour, so I'm happy with that! Thanks so much for the encouragement!
I actually had the nerve to leave him in his cage on our screened in back porch (he has two cages already) for about three hours this evening, and he loved it. The weather is wonderful right now, I guess need to enjoy it!!!

Last edited:
Here is a video of Gator playing on his bed...his bed is a playpen, I don't feel he is ready to stay in cage at night yet....
Just before video he was on floor playing and he started flapping wings and actually lifted up and flew about 5 ft, he is almost there.....

Oh, WHAT a gorgeous baby! He looks healthy and bright-eyed - well done! Do keep sending updates on the gorgeous Gator, won't you? :)

Sorry, I'm unable to load video...any suggestions on loading video?

I personally like uploading to YouTube the best because you can directly copy the link to any video and it will automatically embed in replies. :)

Thank you for a GORGEOUS picture!! This is too cute for words!! :D

15474d1442966882-need-advice-my-baby-catalina-image.jpg

Hes adorable!! congrats! your little clownfish is cute too ;P

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back