MissyMe

May 9, 2007
Ft Walton Beach, FL
Parrots
Rocky The Cockatiel
Bourbon the Budgie
&
Buzz the Timneh African Grey
If my grey has a silver band on his leg what year would that be?

I was just writing down the ring number of my new Grey and I noticed that the year, to me it looks like it has been filed down and now I am starting to worry about how old it is. The lady we got it off told me it was 7 years old. She was the second owner and now I am the third......

Usually the year is vertically on the band, like 05/06/07/08 or whatever year he was born in. The breeders details is horisontally, with her/his unique breeders number. Hope this helps a little, didnt you get a paper stating who the breeder is? All the details are on there and you can get him a new band then.

Not sure about over there with the colouring, Most of the leg bands over here are silver,

Both Bucc and Kito had silver bands on, (Bucc's is still on for a while anyway). Has the lady you got her from got any kinda proof of age??

A lot of bands for domestic birds with closed bands come in a variety of colors, so I don't think that has anything to do with the year.

Bands for wild caughts/imported birds are metal.

Is the band open or closed?

Thanks for all your comments. I took Buzz to the vets and he was able to say that the ring is a 2000 and that would be correct if he was 7 years old. If you look closely you can just make out the top and bottom of each number. The ring was actually a closed ring.

Neither of minehave bands on, but I know Harley's birdday and I kinda guessed with Echo's. Most are stainless steel and silver colored; for the smaller birds, like finches, canaries, budgies etc... I have seen them in many colors. However, I don't think the color should matter for the year... Glad to see it's all worked out!

Most Reactions

Back