Name suggestions/Tips and Tricks

Birdielover68

Dec 28, 2015
Missouri, USA
Parrots
A voren black capped conure.
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum! I have recently adopted a voren black capped conure. I have been trying to think of names, but I just can't think on any that I really like. I have been on a TON of websites online, but none have helped. Unfortunately, I don't know what gender of the birdie is yet. :( I do prefer name suggestions that could work for either gender. My bird's colors are green, yellow, and red. I would like a name that is not very common, but NOT a name that you have never heard before. I would also like some miscellaneous tips and tricks if you have any for newbies. :) I will appreciate all suggestions. Thank you, all. :rainbow1: :)

I just use names from tv shows or movies mostly if they didn't come with names I liked. Or a nickname stuck.

Monster was a nickname that stuck. His original name, Hijikata, was from an anime show.

Monkey was another nickname that stuck. Her original name, Arianna, was just one I came across that I liked.

Rin & Ryner from two different anime shows.

Kelley & Folger came with the names.

Loki.....Avengers anyone:D

Renji & Dante another two different anime shows.

I can go through my snake names too:)

Neo for male
Neoma for female
Both mean new beginnings

I find naming a fun task :). I of course save the ones I like best for myself :54: lol. But I don't foresee getting many more birds ever, and none for the foreseen future. But if I get another bird it will be Phoenix, which kind of goes with Griffin and Raven. Common, but I like what it stands for, mythological birdlike animal just as the Griffin is. So for you, is there anything like that where you like the meaning of as well as the sound of the word?

2 of mine are named after other bird species, Raven and Robin. How about Lark, Finch or (I know it's very common) but Kiwi is such a cute name.

Maybe mythical forest theme? Forest, Pixie, Faun, Sage, Fern, Archer.

Maybe a word or name coming from a hobby or passion of yours? Do you have a favorite sports star? I know lots of people named pets Kobe because of Bryant lol! Name of an expensive exotic car... Maybe human unisex names?

Some people wait until they see something about the personality and give a name based on that.

I like to keep names no more than 2-3 syllables, or chances are it'll get shortened into something else eventually, a nickname for ease of pronunciation.

If I sat here longer I could think of a bunch more, but good luck! Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

The method I use for bird names is pretty simple, but not easy. I tend to 'observe' the birds appearance & behavior over a time period and 'usually' a name will pop up that will suit them just fine. While these are common names among parrots, I still think they are the perfect fit.

For example, I named my cockatiel Peaches because of the orange patches on her cheeks and she is VERY soft, like the skin of a peach and she is really sweet.

I named my sun conure Skittles because he is so colorful- his feathers and his personality. He is also sweet and occasionally a bit tart in his attitude.

That's the method I use, I find it works great for me.

All of these names are very nice. My bird keeps biting on the buttons on everyone's shirts and (although it is common) I am thinking either Buttons, or Emme (short for Emerald). I am still considering different names, so thank you all for suggesting these wonderful names.

And the forest names (Pixie, Sage, Fern) are very easy to pronounce and I have also been thinking about those names.

Buttons, what a cute name!

All of these names are very nice. My bird keeps biting on the buttons on everyone's shirts and (although it is common) I am thinking either Buttons, or Emme (short for Emerald).

I think Buttons is very cute for a Black Capped!

Along those same lines (same type of name) I named my mom's POW "Patches" because of his color pattern and it's just a cute name. I tend to like "cute" names for small birds (Cockatiel size and under).

Last edited:
I am a pirate, at heart ( and professionally) so to me, any parrot should have a piratey name ( hence Salty's name). But thats just me.

I knew Caesars name before I even purchased him. He just looked like a Caesar. I think Buttons is a cute name for a bird especially if he likes them. It fits!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back