My latest Addition-The bee bee parakeet

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Hello, I mentioned in another thread that I might be getting another parrot. Well look who I picked up today! (Pictures should be at the bottom) my new bird is a canary winged parakeet, part of the brotogeris family. along with the gray cheeked parakeets, they were very popular in the 80's. They are known as "pocket parrots" and are very cuddly and sweet. He's about the size of a lovebird.
I am getting him DNA'd soon, if its a boy I'll call him whiff. If its a girl, I'll call her penny (maybe). I got him from the pet store where I work, he's missing half of his upper beak, so the owner said I could have him for free.the store takes very good care of the birds, so other than his beak, he is in good health. I don't even know what happened to the beak, but he was kept separate from the others to keep him safe. Right now he's hanging out in my hood and playing with my hair. I'm so glad I have him, and I can't wait to start training him :). Black jack is warming up to him, I think they'll get along. I'll post more pictures soon ~

Attachments

• PHOTO_1389479301271.jpg
    PHOTO_1389479301271.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 647
  • PHOTO_1389479292402.jpg
    PHOTO_1389479292402.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 708
Awww, he/she is absolutely adorable! I had a couple of green cheeks back in the '80s, and boy were they clowns!
Hopefully his beak will heal up:)

He's quite cute! Congrats on your latest addition! ;)

congratulations!....he looks beautiful. I so hope you enjoy him.

He/she looks cute, Ann. Do you think it'll be able to crack seed with the malformed upper mandible? Our princess, Kermit, has a similar beak (no hook at all) and he has a slurry of parrot pellets and dehusked seed. Not familiar with the species- don't think we have them in Oz, or at least, not in any number.

Looks like a white wing like my Porter.. a little dark for a canary.

They are great birds sweet and highly independent xP

Thanks everyone~ he's very sweet, all he wants to do is burrow in my clothes. He's very warm too, almost like the warmth of a puppy. I think your right jugoya, he has white bands above the yellow on his primaries. He seems nervous, but I think he'll warm up in no time.

I forgot to mention, he is eating just fine with his damaged beak. I was told its allot better than it used to be. He has no problem cracking seed, but I'm switching him to pellets. I filled his dish with a mix of seed and roudybush crumbles. If it doesn't work out, I'll offer softer foods like mashes and birdie breads. By the way, he or she is 6 months to a year old. I bought him a little bird sneaker to play with, it really is a "foot toy" :D

White wings have darker feathers as well, canary wings have brighter green feathers while white wings have more emerald green to olive green feathers.

yup, white-wings are more common than canary-wings, and very similar, but aside from the color differences, you can also tell by the eye ring. White-wings generally have a more bare lore (space between the eye and nostril) that appears grayish while canary-wings typically are fully feathered there. My store gets birds from three different large breeders and they ALL call the birds canary-wings, and they are ALL white-wings.

Welcome to the broto club! It seems they are growing in popularity again.

If anyone in PA happens to want one, I know a very sweet bird that needs a home before I'm forced to sneak her out of my workplace (she's not in any danger, unless you count in danger of being stolen by me lol) My Leonard is not a cuddle-bird, but "Venus" spent a good hour snuggled in my shirts the other day and now I'm in love lol it doesn't take much

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back