my cockatoo quivers

Ripstied

Jun 30, 2015
Cookeville, TN
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
I just brought my 1.5 year old cockatoo, Kili, home and I noticed she quivers every now and then. How do I know if she's too cold? What temperature can they be comfortable in? I have a heated perch on order, which I read makes them comfortable, but I don't have it yet...

Heated perches really aren't necessary, and can in fact prove dangerous if your Cockatoo can get to the electric chord.

Room temperature is perfectly fine. If you are comfortable, so is the bird. The quivering could very well be nerves.

Heated perches really aren't necessary, and can in fact prove dangerous if your Cockatoo can get to the electric chord.

Room temperature is perfectly fine. If you are comfortable, so is the bird. The quivering could very well be nerves.
Ooh, good to know about the perch. You're probably right about the nerves, too. I haven't noticed the quivering today, so hopefully she's settling in. She seems content. She sits pretty quietly on her new java tree, but every now and then she'll quietly 'talk' to me. The thing that mystifies me is that I've heard how much they love toys and she shows no interest in them! Also, she has taken organic pellets from me and seems to love bananas, but she's not eating anything unless I offer it by hand and even then hasn't eaten much... I'm hoping it's part of the nerves and settling in. I've tried organic blueberries and tomatoes from my garden. She looked at me like I was the devil when I offered her raw broccoli! No interest in dried fruit or nuts, either. I haven't seen her drink since bringing her home yesterday, too. She may have and I just don't know it...

My galah occasionally quivers- it's usually a sign of anxiousness/uneasiness about something with my girl.

Keep trying with the toys - Alice had no idea what to do with the stuff I put in her cage at first, but gradually she's figured them out. It helps to play with things yourself in front of them, get their interest piqued.

Mine also quivers occasionally when she's scared or upset, I just talk soothingly to her and she soon snaps of of it.

Get a thermo perch, use a piece of PVC with a PVC elbow to go over the plastic cage attachment, run the PVC pipe a few inches off the floor, keeps the bird away from the cord.
I've used them for 2 years now & have never had any problems, my two usually sit on theirs at night

I honestly don't believe the quivering is a sign of being cold~ when birds are actually cold, they poof their feather out to maximize insulation from their feathers, and cover their feet with their feathers.

In this case, IMHO the quivering was just because she was uneasy about something.

I've observed quivering in several species of parrots, but cannot always assess it as stress-driven.

I've observed quivering in several species of parrots, but cannot always assess it as stress-driven.

Maybe excitement then?

I'm not really sure what it is, but will have to pay closer attention. Just seems to be apparently random quivering without a noticeable situation. But his is a human talking.... perhaps it has meaning to a parrot unless it's some sort of autonomous reaction.

Most Reactions

Back