My budgie is losing his stomach feathers

Minipal

Feb 1, 2020
Hi everyone, maybe you will know why is it happening and how to treat it?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_113949.jpg
    IMG_20230630_113949.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230630_113947.jpg
    IMG_20230630_113947.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230630_113943.jpg
    IMG_20230630_113943.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230630_113638.jpg
    IMG_20230630_113638.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230630_113636.jpg
    IMG_20230630_113636.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 53
That looks like stress plucking to me.

That looks like quite a small cage you have, with quite a few budgies in there as well, which could be stressing him out. How many toys do they have and how often are they allowed out of the cage? Are they clipped or can they fly freely? He could be bored, causing him to pluck because there's not much for him to do. The fact that they've chewed almost completely through one of the dowel perches suggests boredom to me, and I can't see anything for them to do in that cage.

Can you get some toys and different shaped perches for them?

That looks like stress plucking to me.

That looks like quite a small cage you have, with quite a few budgies in there as well, which could be stressing him out. How many toys do they have and how often are they allowed out of the cage? Are they clipped or can they fly freely? He could be bored, causing him to pluck because there's not much for him to do. The fact that they've chewed almost completely through one of the dowel perches suggests boredom to me, and I can't see anything for them to do in that cage.

Can you get some toys and different shaped perches for them?
This is what their cage looks like.
He's usually very close to his wife (the yellow one at the bottom), cleans her and kisses her.
I let them out of the cage everyday for around one hour when they fly around the house till they get tired. This budgie is the most active out of them and he is the father of half of them. He always flies, chirps and the most friendly towards others out of them.
He's been with me since he was born (his parents already died), and he is 3 years old approximately. He never plucked his feathers, and they live in this cage for about 7 months and it never happend before.

Attachments

• 16881173919042812014199187255021.jpg
    16881173919042812014199187255021.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 16881174048484348972155209460688.jpg
    16881174048484348972155209460688.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 47
That's so sweet how he is with his wife! It's good that you let them them out everyday for an hour so they can get some exercise. What kind of cage did they have before?

I see you have 15 budgies in that cage and they don't have much room so they can have some space of their own. Is it possible to get them a bigger cage? They'd definitely be happier with more room. Since most of them are still quite young, issues with them being bored haven't really surfaced yet but I think you may find a few more of you budgies will start plucking their feathers due to being overcrowded in that cage and having a lack of mental stimulation. Can you get them some toys to play with so they're not as bored?

I agree that it would be good to give the budgies more room and some more toys and variety of perches. Despite their small size, I have found budgies to be incredibly energetic! Letting them out every day is excellent, but if they are in a cage for roughly 23 hours a day, making that cage mentally and physically interesting with different toys and perches will help reduce the chance of stress behaviors like plucking. Also, do your budgies get access to a bowl of water for bathing? Birds need to bathe to keep their feathers in good condition. You have very pretty little birds!

I agree that it would be good to give the budgies more room and some more toys and variety of perches. Despite their small size, I have found budgies to be incredibly energetic! Letting them out every day is excellent, but if they are in a cage for roughly 23 hours a day, making that cage mentally and physically interesting with different toys and perches will help reduce the chance of stress behaviors like plucking. Also, do your budgies get access to a bowl of water for bathing? Birds need to bathe to keep their feathers in good condition. You have very pretty little birds!
You really should divide them up into three cages this size. It has to be stressful having so many cagemates.

You really should divide them up into three cages this size. It has to be stressful having so many cagemates.
That's so sweet how he is with his wife! It's good that you let them them out everyday for an hour so they can get some exercise. What kind of cage did they have before?

I see you have 15 budgies in that cage and they don't have much room so they can have some space of their own. Is it possible to get them a bigger cage? They'd definitely be happier with more room. Since most of them are still quite young, issues with them being bored haven't really surfaced yet but I think you may find a few more of you budgies will start plucking their feathers due to being overcrowded in that cage and having a lack of mental stimulation. Can you get them some toys to play with so they're not as bored?
Thank you so much for your comment.
I'm not sure if it will be possible to have more cages cause we don't have enough room, but we are considering to give some of these little ones to our friends so they will have more space.

I don't think its plucking. I think that my budgie is ill, because i noticed that he started drooping his head really often (like every 10-5 minutes) since yesterday, and its a sign of illness and weakness. I will take him to the veterinary and see what it is.

Didn't think about giving them a bowl of water for bath, It's a good idea.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to have more cages cause we don't have enough room, but we are considering to give some of these little ones to our friends so they will have more space.

I don't think its plucking. I think that my budgie is ill, because i noticed that he started drooping his head really often (like every 10-5 minutes) since yesterday, and its a sign of illness and weakness. I will take him to the veterinary and see what it is.
Good idea to check with an avian vet. There is always the possibility of external parasites like mites causing feather loss. Hope your bird is doing better soon!

If space is a problem you can stack one cage on top of another. Getting new homes for some of the young ones is a great idea.

Plucking and/or feather loss can be caused by multiple health issues. I wish you luck at the vets!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back