My Amazon won't take a bath - Help!

Panama

Dec 21, 2016
Southeastern United States
Parrots
36 Year Old Male - Yellow Naped Amazon named Panama
My YNA does not like the water. Except for his water bowl. He will take a "bath" in his water bowl. Which basically consists of him sticking his head in the water several times, and flinging water all over the floor and wall. He ends up looking like a watered down rat from the head up. He gets more water on everything else except himself. Nothing is getting bathed except his head. Any suggestions? I have tried the sink, the bath tub, the bathroom sink, a spray bottle, a Tupperware dish of water, both large and small. I also tried a flat like pan with a little bit of water in it to see if he would wander over towards it, nothing. He avoids it like the plague. I have tried letting him on the counter of both the bathroom and kitchen and just turning the water on to see if he will get in the sink himself... nothing. He wants nothing to do with the water. Any suggestions on things to try will be greatly appreciated! He is around 36 years old and my husband and I have been owned by him for about 1.5 years now. Thanks!

My YNA does not like the water. Except for his water bowl. He will take a "bath" in his water bowl. Which basically consists of him sticking his head in the water several times, and flinging water all over the floor and wall. He ends up looking like a watered down rat from the head up. He gets more water on everything else except himself. Nothing is getting bathed except his head. Any suggestions? I have tried the sink, the bath tub, the bathroom sink, a spray bottle, a Tupperware dish of water, both large and small. I also tried a flat like pan with a little bit of water in it to see if he would wander over towards it, nothing. He avoids it like the plague. I have tried letting him on the counter of both the bathroom and kitchen and just turning the water on to see if he will get in the sink himself... nothing. He wants nothing to do with the water. Any suggestions on things to try will be greatly appreciated! He is around 36 years old and my husband and I have been owned by him for about 1.5 years now. Thanks!

We have always used the very heavy glass cooking pie plates my Great Grandmother used to cook pies. Because of their size and weight, our Amazons have not been able to lift them. They provide walking depth water and an Amazon can get in and splash around. You think you got water splashing now!!!

Get yourself a 'Misting' spray bottle (not a spray bottle, a Misting spray bottle) Mist up into the air above your YNA and let the mist fall like rain down upon your guy! Take great care with and older Amazon. Sadly, some people have used 'spray bottles' as punishment tools! That is why it is so very important to use a Misting Spray Bottle and Mist up into the air above your Amazon!

It can take several years to get an older Amazon to rediscover the joy of water and taking baths. Keep the expectation levels low and enjoy any positives with great joy. Once you Amazon, opens his wings, your starting to win the game!!! Enjoy!

NEVER SPRAY AN AMAZON IN THE FACE!!!!

FYI: Always remember to introduce new things slowly!!!

Last edited:

We have always used the very heavy glass cooking pie plates my Great Grandmother used to cook pies. Because of their size and weight, our Amazons have not been able to lift them. They provide walking depth water and an Amazon can get in and splash around. You think you got water splashing now!!!

Get yourself a 'Misting' spray bottle (not a spray bottle, a Misting spray bottle) Mist up into the air above your YNA and let the mist fall like rain down upon your guy! Take great care with and older Amazon. Sadly, some people have used 'spray bottles' as punishment tools! That is why it is so very important to use a Misting Spray Bottle and Mist up into the air above your Amazon!

It can take several years to get an older Amazon to rediscover the joy of water and taking baths. Keep the expectation levels low and enjoy any positives with great joy. Once you Amazon, opens his wings, your starting to win the game!!! Enjoy!

Thank you! I think I have one of those dishes you are talking about, if not, I think a glass Pyrex cake pan is about the same weight and depth. I will try that. I have heard the thing about the spray bottles and the one I have tried is a misting one, not a straight stream. He wasn't not happy, but he was more annoyed, like what the heck are you trying to do to me woman? Is there any issue with him not getting rinsed off or bathed for an extended period of time? Just wondering since he used to bathe himself about once a week in his water bowl, now it is maybe once every 2-3 weeks? And even at that it is still just his head. Do I need to worry that he is going to be too dirty?

keep trying wit the misting bottle. Salty is almost 2 and he is just now starting to open his wings with a misting. I get him good and wet with that, and he still goes over to his waterbowl to 'finish' the job.

Sailboat...why the advise not to spray an amazon in the face? Mine loves it.

I am assuming that you are using a misting spray correct!

Since so very many Amazon have been punished by spraying directly into their face, they can become very aggressive and in fact attack you!

The majority of people are working with older Amazons and do not know the Parrots history. So, it is better to Mist above their heads and allow it to fall like rain when first working with a new rehomed Amazon!

If you have never been in the direct line of an overloaded Amazon in Attack mold. Work very hard to avoid that happening. It is much safer to not get yourself and more importantly others into that position!

I hope that this helped!

Thank you! I think I have one of those dishes you are talking about, if not, I think a glass Pyrex cake pan is about the same weight and depth. I will try that. I have heard the thing about the spray bottles and the one I have tried is a misting one, not a straight stream. He wasn't not happy, but he was more annoyed, like what the heck are you trying to do to me woman? Is there any issue with him not getting rinsed off or bathed for an extended period of time? Just wondering since he used to bathe himself about once a week in his water bowl, now it is maybe once every 2-3 weeks? And even at that it is still just his head. Do I need to worry that he is going to be too dirty?

The biggest concern is their getting dry! Amazons are powder based not oil based to easy the movement of their feathers. It builds up and their skin becomes dry. They natural range is in ares that rain is common at least every other day. Amazons need to have access and to take baths at a minimum of once a week and far more often this time of year.

Last edited:
The biggest concern is their getting dry! Amazons are powder based and oil based to easy the movement of their feathers. It builds up and their skin becomes dry. They natural range is in ares that rain is common at least every other day. Amazons need to have access and to take baths at a minimum of once a week and far more often this time of year.

The dry part is not an issue! When he does get wet, he loves the blow dryer. Even when he is not wet, he will gravitate towards the sound of the blow dryer if he is out of his cage and I am trying to dry my own hair. I always use it at a distance and on a low setting, but he sure does love it. The issue is getting him in the water! I will be trying to misting spray bottle some more and also the glass pans of water! Thank you again for all the advice! It is much appreciated.

The dry part is not an issue! When he does get wet, he loves the blow dryer. Even when he is not wet, he will gravitate towards the sound of the blow dryer if he is out of his cage and I am trying to dry my own hair. I always use it at a distance and on a low setting, but he sure does love it. The issue is getting him in the water! I will be trying to misting spray bottle some more and also the glass pans of water! Thank you again for all the advice! It is much appreciated.

Sorry, I rushed that Post off and should have gone into more detail. Amazons' create a feather powder that they use as to easy the movement of their feathers over each other. As a result, if they do not get a bath at the very least of once per week, their feather colours dull as the dust /powder builds up! In addition, their natural range covers from areas that get a great deal of rain to areas in which it rains at least every other day or so!. So, there natural World is based on their getting rained on fairly often.

The fact that your Amazon likes the hair dryer, indicates that he likely got fairly regular baths in the past. Keep working at it and as some point you will find what turns his 'I Love Bath' button.

Our DYH Amazons has a whole show that he goes though prior to his getting a shower. He puts up this huge show on how he hates a shower and flies away, etc., etc,. etc... A minimum of five minutes to as long as fifteen minutes. Once in the shower, Its Splash Kid Time! Water flies everywhere! And, then its the 'Get the Kid Out of The Water' No, I'm having fun! No, I'm not done! No, I haven't done my upside down trick!

Take care what you long for!

Patagonians are such odd birds that I never know if info about them is relevant to others.

But...

My conure ONLY wants shallow water in a gigantic wok I got for him. He detests sprays or overhead faucet flows.
Maybe your bird had bad experience(s) with water or baths. I'd experiment with a shallow bowl or such... that worked for me. My bird seemed nervous about the sink, but accepted the wok.
Also, experiment with some gentle trickles from your cupped hand when he is near the shallow water in a wok or similar, and see if he likes that, maybe.
If all else fails, you might just have to give him an unwanted spray now and then for feather/skin conditioning... I'd warn him "Here comes the spray" then do it fast, then give a treat.
My Rbird loves to be blow-dried since an early age. I hold the dryer out at arm's length... he sidles up as close as he likes... about elbow-ish. Patagonians are from a very arid desert-ish land, so this might be too drying for some parrots, but he LOVES it...his little beady eyes almost roll back in his head in ecstasy.

My zon loves a spray bottle bath... she got one today.... twisting her head all around, wings spread, hanging upside down... all over silliness....

Keep trying! Zons love baths

Sailboat...why the advise not to spray an amazon in the face? Mine loves it.

I am assuming that you are using a misting spray correct!

Since so very many Amazon have been punished by spraying directly into their face, they can become very aggressive and in fact attack you!

The majority of people are working with older Amazons and do not know the Parrots history. So, it is better to Mist above their heads and allow it to fall like rain when first working with a new rehomed Amazon!

If you have never been in the direct line of an overloaded Amazon in Attack mold. Work very hard to avoid that happening. It is much safer to not get yourself and more importantly others into that position!

I hope that this helped!
Ok great..using a mister..and spraying his head with no problems..but then he is my baby and not an older bird. Thanks for the info..
My zon loves a spray bottle bath... she got one today.... twisting her head all around, wings spread, hanging upside down... all over silliness....

Keep trying! Zons love baths

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about your Amazon but bonkers joins me in my daily shower every other day he doesnt exactly love it but he tolerates it and he needs frequent showers as he was previously a plucker.

I'm not sure about your Amazon but bonkers joins me in my daily shower every other day he doesnt exactly love it but he tolerates it and he needs frequent showers as he was previously a plucker.

Glad to see you that you and Bonkers continue to be a thing! Good to hear from you!

The showering with me, will have to wait awhile. We are still working up to him even tolerating me without biting! I might have my husband try the shower though, they are buds, and he can handle him. Thanks!

Patagonian Conure info is only relevant to those who own ....... Dragons!

LOL, sorry couldn't resist, Gail.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back