My 5 month old ringneck

DarkMbs

Apr 18, 2018
My ringneck did the head movement for the first time today i think he had a pretty hefty meal for him but he has never over eaten before he is not vomiting nothing is coming out he is just moving his head and then i see him sort of chewing something in his mouth. Yea and he is around 5 months. He had his first egg and shell today. Now i saw him regurgitate and shake his head. I need help

He is just adjusting his crop -- nothing to worry about. Totally normal. Make sure he is still drinking, so there is enough moisture to move that food all down so he can digest it.

He is just adjusting his crop -- nothing to worry about. Totally normal. Make sure he is still drinking, so there is enough moisture to move that food all down so he can digest it.

Yea thnx he did drink water and he is normal now

Yes, he's either simply adjusting his crop like Itzjbean stated, which is totally normal for them to do, or he's actually starting to experience some hormonal behavior and is regurgitating for you...meaning he loves you and wants to feed you, as they feed each other in the wild. When they purposely "regurgitate" for each other, in order to feed each other, they generally make the head/neck movement and then a little bit of completely solid substance comes up out of their crop into their mouth, and this is what they feed their mate (the food they bring-up when doing this is in very small bits at a time, is completely solid, and is usually all-white in color)...At 5 months old he's young and has not gone through puberty yet, but that doesn't mean that he still isn't regurgitating for you, as he's most-likely bonded closely with you and he wants to feed you. There's nothing wrong with them doing this, and it only becomes an issue if after they go through puberty and really start experiencing hormone-rushes, they start to become aggressive with you about it or they start trying to mate with you, which you should immediately discourage and put them down as soon as they try to do so, as this can become extremely frustrating for them when they want to mate with you and they realize that they can't. But you have a while before you'll need to worry about this, and typically if they start displaying this type of aggressive hormonal behavior while they are on you, it can be stopped if you simply put them down on the floor or on their cage or stand immediately once they start, and then just ignore them completely until they stop the behavior. Soon they'll realize that it's not going to happen.

As far as him trying to feed you goes, this is very common and isn't an issue that you have to worry about. My Senegal will be 2 years old in October, and he started trying to feed me when he was about the same age as your Ringneck is, around 6 months or so old. He still does it quite often, and I just ignore him, or I'll say something to him like "Thanks Kane, but I already ate", lol. He usually does it and I'll put him back on his cage or his play-stand so he can spit it out, or I'll grab a tissue and get it off of his beak or wherever he has put it, lol. And then he's done. So don't worry about him trying to feed you, it simply means that he loves you and is bonded to you. If after he hits puberty and his hormonal behavior escalates, that's when you need to learn techniques and make some simple changes to his routine/schedule to stop the behavior.

****Just as an FYI, there is a huge difference between a bird "regurgitating" and a bird "vomiting", and it's important that you know the difference so that you can act accordingly ASAP if your bird does ever actually "vomit"...Again, when a bird "regurgitates" it's the result of them either simply adjusting their crops and having a bit of the contents come up in the process, or it's purposely done by the bird as a display of love to a person or to another bird because they are wanting to feed the person or bird; and when a bird "regurgitates", what they bring-up is an extremely tiny bit of food from their crop, usually only a little piece or two, which is completely and totally solid, no liquids, and is usually totally white in color...***In-contrast, when a bird is "Vomiting", this is usually due to a health issue and is typically a very serious event, as birds rarely vomit, and when they do they are usually very ill and need to get to a Certified Avian Vet or a 24/7 emergency animal/exotic's hospital immediately. When a bird "vomits" it's usually due to either an illness or infection of some kind, or a blockage/obstruction of some kind in their Gastrointestinal Tract, or because the bird has suddenly had way too much to eat or drink at one time, or because they've eaten something that was toxic/poisonous. When a bird "vomits", they bring-up much, much more material than they do when they "regurgitate", and usually when they "vomit" it contains fluid, sometimes a lot of fluid, and is not uniform in texture or color, but rather very similar to what it looks like when a person or other animal "vomits".

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back