Moving to Hawaii

Pickle's Mom

Oct 20, 2024
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Hello, We are moving, in early Dec., from the PNW to Hawaii. We are of course bringing our boy with us. He is a 6 year old male Eclectus. We are currently trying to navigate through the gauntlet of paperwork and requirements, and are nervous if we are doing everything correctly and also if anyone has advice on how to keep him the most comfortable during the actual cargo flight. I am considering the Wingabago crate, but would appreciate any feedback on what others are using that has worked out for the best? We have found an Avian Vet who can do his quarantine, paperwork, but I won't be able to speak directly with vet for about another week. My understanding is that he is responsible for the misquito proofing prior to us picking up for airport. Does anyone one know if that is how it works? Thank you.

Hawaii. has very restrictive Import laws and from what Countries they are open to receiving Avians from and which species.

Your Airline of choice can be very helpful as the last thing they want is to have your Parrot rejected and not allowed off the aircraft. So you should be working with them starting now! They commonly know the required paperwork.

Since you are moving from PNW you could be faced with very restrictive laws on exporting Avians!

The Avian Vet will want to know the requirements that your Airlines will require so that he can provide proper quarantine documentation. Commonly, quarantine time lines can be from 30 to 60 days.

You need to be really digging deep and fast as you are nearing very specific dates in which are must hit dates. You have started late and need to really up your game. I do not know what PNW nor Hawaii require, but I do know they are among the most restrictive in the World.

Proof of ownership could come-up and your having purchase information that is better than: Purchased at Market is likely an issue. May want to consider having your Parrot Microchipped, which will likely help.

Best Luck!

Thank you. He is already microchipped. There is a 7 day quarantine period prior to travel, that his vet must do in misquito proof area here. So much to navigate on figuring out....it's a permanent move though, so going to have to just get him through the process just the one time, thankfully.

Does PNW stand for Pacific Northwest?
Like Washington state or some other country?

If you are going from one U.S. state to another U.S. state why is all this necessary?

If I move from California to Oregon (something I hope will happen in future) I don’t have to do anything special.

Hawaii needs to get over itself.
IMHO.

Yes, Wa state. I know, it is turning into an even bigger deal than when my husband was active duty and we flew our dog that we had over back and forth to Europe multiple times. That was a pretty simple process. It involves not bringing in diseases that they don't currently have on the islands. I understand it, but a more clear step by step guideline would be so helpful through it. I think I am getting it, hopefully, but not for sure. Pretty worrisome when it's your big guy. I will keep everyone updated in case anyone else asks for their bird....

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back