Monitor Lizards: Natural History Overview & Experiences with Intelligent Escapees

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
Herpetologists and hobbyists alike have long known that there is something ā€œdifferentā€ about the family of lizards known collectively as ā€œmonitorsā€ (or, in Australia, ā€œgoannasā€). One cannot observe a monitor for long without getting a sense of the animalā€™s intelligence ā€“ they scrutinize the world differently than do other reptiles, and their reactions to new situations are surprisingly quick and complex. Recent studies have confirmed that monitors are unique, and, in many ways, the most intelligent and advanced of the lizards.
In years past pet keepers were limited to a very small number of monitor species from which to choose. An explosion of interest in the group has radically changed that situation, and today animals rarely seen even in zoos are being commercially bred in huge numbers. Happily, there are monitors even for those without much room ā€“ and the very smallest types still exhibit true monitor behavior, intelligence and ā€œattitudeā€. Today Iā€™ll present an overview of the group. Read article here: The Monitor Lizards (Family Varanidae)
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Most Reactions

Back