Molting?

csshepherdgirl

Aug 7, 2015
I have a question about molting. My little sun, Eli, turned 4 months this past Thursday. I've noticed that he has become increasingly agitated, which is a deviation over his normal behaviors. I've noticed that with this change comes increasing amounts of scratching, and he's now picking at his feathers. The feathers on his face have started standing as well. I started fearing that I may have a plucking problem on my hand. But I've been reading about molting. I see that they usually start around 6 months, so it seems a little early yes? He mostly has been picking at his tail feathers, but also occasionally picks underneath his wing and his area has become downy. Advice?

It is quite possible for birds to molt before 6 months of age, so that in itself isn't unusual... although smaller birds tend to molt earlier than bigger birds.

You may want to try increasing bath time?

My CBC started her first heavy molt at about 4.5 months old and her behavior fluctuated from day to day, but has gotten much better since shes almost through with her molt now 4 months later. Bathing really helps with the itchiness and helps there moods a tiny bit :)

Thanks guys for the advice. I am pretty sure it is the beginning of a molt, as he has been super itchy lately which made me suspect (& check) for mites. I think I will start misting him up high with a water bottle now. Again, thanks :)

Most Reactions

Back