May Need To Get New Dishwasher - Any Precautions Needed For Bird

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
My dishwasher is broken and if canā€™t be fixed I may need a new dishwasher. I will know tomorrow. Are there any precautions that need to be taken for birds? I know there are with new stoves.

I wouldn't think that there is anything special that you need to do. The washing compartment is sealed obviously so nothing is going to escape. There may be some oil or the like on the electric heating element but that too should be inside. Just run the cycle once with some dish washing detergent to remove any manufacturing chemicals that may be on there before you wash your dishes (or perches :)).

The only thing external is the pump and that should not be an issue. With a stove you're worried about burning off the manufacturing chemicals and oils which vent into the room, not a worry with a dishwasher, washing machine etc.

I would have to say it may depend on the make / model.
We have a Kitchen Aid that is several years old and it has a vent just under the counter. We can smell some of the soap when it is running.
We are fortunate that we have a large kitchen exhaust fan that vents directly to the outside and does not recirculate like some stove top fans. We always run it when using the dishwasher.

If you have a kitchen fan that vents to the outside, use it at least for the first couple of washes. Keep feathered friends away in a separate room.
Test the kitchen area by completely leaving the house for a few minutes and returning to see if you smell anything out of the ordinary. Another option may be a box type fan in a kitchen window if that is possible.

Hopefully others can chime in with other suggestions.

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Curious how you made out with the new dishwasher.
Any unpleasant odors?

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Believe it or not I havenā€™t had a full load yet. I will probably run it tonight or tomorrow and move Fuji as a precaution. I did call the vet and he said there wasnā€™t anything to worry about.

Curious how you made out with the new dishwasher.
Any unpleasant odors?

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Believe it or not I havenā€™t had a full load yet. I will probably run it tonight or tomorrow and move Fuji as a precaution. I did call the vet and he said there wasnā€™t anything to worry about.
Thanks for the feed back and let us know if you had any problems.
Good idea to move Fuji as a precaution and be able to vent the area if there are any issues.

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Commonly, it is recommended that you run the washer empty though a light cycle to clean the interior and assure that it is working prior to filling it with dishes. Yes, you will want to use your recommended dishwasher soap.

All dishwashers have a vent, the location differences between models, but they are there. The reason is to allow steam to escape during the high temperature and the drying cycles.

FYI: Take great care to assure that you do not place any product that has mid to small plastic pieces that could come off and end-up down at the bottom next to the heater rod! The heater rod become hot enough to melt hard plastic and if it lands on the heater rod, burn it! That off-gassing is dangerous!

Last edited:
My parrot is not interested in the dishwasher, but the faucet in the kitchen he really likes. He's always trying to take a shower there.

My bird is fascinated with the washing machine and also the tumble drier. She loves to roll around inside the drum when they are empty. I only use my tumble drier in the winter really, it pushes warm air out of the front vent so I always spray Enzo down prior to using it and she likes to sit on a chair in front of it preening and drying off.

I would try to run any appliance on full blast a few times without your parrot in the house. They all come coated with a protective oil from the factory and lots of the newer ones get super hot. I am not sure how safe the "sanitize" setting is, so keep that in mind...IF there were any Teflon/PTFE/PFOA, at sanitizing temperatures, this could be an issue.

When you get it installed, I would run it as hot and hard as you can at least a few times (excluding the sanitize button-- I wouldn't use that ever) before bringing the bird back inside- and after airing things out.

I would try to run any appliance on full blast a few times without your parrot in the house. They all come coated with a protective oil from the factory and lots of the newer ones get super hot. I am not sure how safe the "sanitize" setting is, so keep that in mind...IF there were any Teflon/PTFE/PFOA, at sanitizing temperatures, this could be an issue.

When you get it installed, I would run it as hot and hard as you can at least a few times (excluding the sanitize button-- I wouldn't use that ever) before bringing the bird back inside- and after airing things out.

The dangers with all dishwashers are the heating rod at the bottom of the washing chamber. The rod itself is not the problem, it is the plastic bits that fall-off items or small items that work their way to the bottom. In all cases, when the dishwasher needs hotter water, the rod is turned on and commonly results in melting the plastic bit(s). The off-gassing of the melting plastic bit(s) can be deadly.

The rod heats water to higher temperatures short of boiling. They are thermal set to turn off if water is not covering the heating rod.

Last edited:

The dangers with all dishwashers are the heating rod at the bottom of the washing chamber. The rod itself is not the problem, it is the plastic bits that fall-off items or small items that work their way to the bottom. In all cases, when the dishwasher needs hotter water, the rod is turned on and commonly results in melting the plastic bit(s). The off-gassing of the melting plastic bit(s) can be deadly.

The rod heats water to higher temperatures short of boiling. They are thermal set to turn off if water is not covering the heating rod.
Not just a one in a million possibility!
http://www.parrotforums.com/bereavement/55082-my-baby-conure-passed-away.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/68106-terrifying-fumes-dishwasher-warning.html

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back