Macaw Personality Switch?

Surfincr

Nov 13, 2013
CT
Parrots
Ziggy (African Grey) and Elvis B&G
So for the longest time i was making good progress with elvis given the amount of time i had (new baby, day job, hobby job etc). just to side track a second before i give the wrong impression, my fiancee works 3 12 hour days a week and is in the room with the birds most of the day when not working, however she isnt comfortable enough to handle elvis yet.

getting back on track after my post about the "macaw bite" elvis did a 180 and went back to a dont touch me phase, not sure why nothing happened, nothing changed. i still kept at it and spent time with her as much as i could as well as spending time with zig. well the week before labor day it seemed a switch was thrown and elvis turned (i swear over night) into a new bird. she wanted to be patted as much as possible, came right over to the side closest to me every time started saying hello as soon as i came over. As well as wanting to be picked up as much as possible. she even at one point turned into (stealing birdman's term) a mush mac and laying her head against me while being petted.

i was even surprised to find out while my mother was while babysitting, elvis did her macaw bluff which my mom called. after that i was informed elvis wouldnt stop talking away to my mother.

so i'm curious to see is this a typical thing where there's a sudden change to being a mush mac? either way i'm not complaining i'm just curious. plus i hope by sharing people can learn that there's always hope.

That is how it happens sometimes. When the trust switch gets throw that is it!

Go with it and don't let him revert back

It's all about getting them over the hump.

Once their over the hump, that's usually what you get. The mushy, lay your head on my shoulder kinda stuff.

Sometimes it's a long term struggle to get there.

Sometimes it happens overnight. Depends on the bird.

And please don't get discouraged if Elvis delivers a nip at some point either. :D They are forever testing us, but IME it becomes less and less, especially once they realize they can't 'bluff' us.

i definitely wont get discouraged, i've found the macaws are very much like my german shepherds . for the first few years i've had my rescued shepherds they would always test to see what they could get away with. though the difference it they never tested with their mouths like the macaw. its always been "oh you want me to come in now, sorry i changed my name" followed by me walking out and picking up the pup and carrying them back in (no yelling, no hitting, just one arm under their butt and one under their chest and in they go) only took a few times for them to realize i meant what i said.

i should add knock on wood to date elvis hasnt made me bleed once

Most Reactions

Back