Macaw on the Loose

erinleacarrigan

Aug 18, 2013
I have a large Catalina Macaw that keeps getting down from her large stand in the living room and walks around the house terrorizing dogs and eating furniture. Is there something I can put around the bottom of the stand to keep her from climbing down? She also has a huge stand in my back yard and another cage out front. She has a lot of freedom, I just like her to be inside sometimes and would like her to stay on her stand.

Yep. Someone is a candidate for "time out" and "stay put" training.

Permissive parrenting generally doesn't work with macaws. Staying out is a privilege. If you don't want to be locked in your cage, you play with the things you are allowed to play with, and you don't go on search and destroy missions.

We also don't chase people or other pets around the room.

That's a time out. If you do that, and if you throw a little macaw hissy fit about it, I'm going to cover your cage until you decide to calm down.

Once you calm down. I'll uncover you. Now if you are going to stay put, you can come out. Climb down again and back you go... You gonna try to challenge my authority, bird? Bite me to stay out?! I don't think so!!! Meet my friend Mr. Towel. Mr. Towel doesn't like it when you bite. [After the first time or two, give him a choice. Go get the towel and show it to him. NOW KNOCK IT OFF AND STEP UP!]

You're in time out again. [station training resumed.]

Now, are you gonna stay calm, and not misbehave? Then you can come out...

Essentially, you have to undo the damage, and put in the discipline. This will take anywhere from a few hours, to a few days, to a few weeks, depending on how consistent you are, and how quickly he "gets the message."

If you are not consistent, he won't get it! And the behavior gets worse.

But that's essentially how it's generally done.

I've got five that are out 24/7. This is why I can do that.

I have three that go out and about. I can set them down outside, walk away, and come back to find them right where I left them. This is why I can do that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back