Macaw diet question

nicolino

Sep 9, 2015
S.Florida
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Double Yellow Head Amazon
Hello
I would like to know why are people switching to pellets instead of seeds?
Seeds are a natural diet for macaws so why pellets?
Also, are oranges safe fruit for Mac's ? My Scarlet loves oranges , it seems to be his favorite fruit . She has a huge appetite for anything I provide for her but
does not care much for dry fruit. Also anyone looking at the pics can you help with age of my new Scarlet ??? ( I was told she's about 19 months old . )

Last edited:
Everything in moderation. Variety is key.

People feed parrots pellets because they are a more complete diet for parrots. Seeds are very fattening while not having a big energy content. Most pellet blends also have vitamins in them that most seed mixes don't have in them. Also macaws tend to need allot of large nuts like palm nuts in their diet as this is one of the main food sources in the wild, you can buy these nuts in bags online ( i will leave a link) . She is a beautiful bird and i hope this helps. :D

Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Food Mix for Macaws

No bird should live on a pellet only diet, IMO. Variety is key. I've already shown you 'some' of the things my big macs get right here http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56922-my-new-macaw.html

Oranges are perfectly safe for your girl, yes. For a complete list of safe and toxic foods, have a look at this thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

As for your Scarlet's age, no, unfortunately there is no way of guaranteeing she is indeed (about) 19 months.

Hello
I would like to know why are people switching to pellets instead of seeds?
Seeds are a natural diet for macaws so why pellets?
Also, are oranges safe fruit for Mac's ? My Scarlet loves oranges , it seems to be his favorite fruit . She has a huge appetite for anything I provide for her but
does not care much for dry fruit. Also anyone looking at the pics can you help with age of my new Scarlet ??? ( I was told she's about 19 months old . )

Balanced diet. Seeds are about 10% of the diet. Pellets are about 50%. Nuts and fresh foods (small amounts of chicken, fish, rice, beans, sweet potato, etc.) fruits, and veggies (especially high vitamin A foods) are the remaining 40%.

At least that's how I've always done it. And the blood work on my birds has always come back perfect during annuals, so I must be doing something right.

Oranges are fine, mine get an orange slice or two a day, but you have to realize that oranges (like grapes) are mostly sugar. The moisture content is good (they don't just get hydration from drinking. They hydrate from also fruits.) BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO FEED YOUR KIDS NOTHING BUT SUGARY TREATS. THEY FILL UP ON THAT STUFF, THEY DON'T EAT THE GOOD STUFF. THIS IS A TREAT CUP THING.

Last edited:
BB can be picky at times. This weeks special is Butternut Squash. He LOVES it . Last night I cut some in small cubes and hid them in his Grapevine Wreath. He spend a long time just searching and eating them.

All he will do with oranges is Hold his head back. Press the orange section with his tongue and drink the juice LOL

Most Reactions

Back