Mac clumsiness

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Macaw clumsiness

Our new mac is a year old and still seems a bit clumsy. At what age do they get over that?

How old was your mac when they lost their baby clumsiness? Our "yet to be named" guy is a year old in July and he still seems pretty clumsy, though he flies well.

My Catalina was very clumsy !:) I think it was about a year or a little more. They get it eventually :)

I've also heard it can take over a year for the bigger macs... Don't worry :)

What's funny is Griffin is the complete opposite! I know we're talking apples and oranges here with a Macaw and a Ruppell's parrot, but I noticed Griffin is no kidding EXTRA agile! I thought OMG he's like a monkey at 3 1/2 months :11: then I actually read Ruppell's are extremely agile, even more inclined than other Poi's!

Ours so far about 2 to 2 1/2 though our 3 1/2 year old still has his moments, but he is normally showing off or at least trying to at those times.

That actually surprises me with a little bit with a BTM... the one I hand fed was the most coordinated baby I think I'd ever dealt with. Scarey smart!

They are such smart little birds, IT PROBABLY MEANS HIS MIND IS GOING FASTER THAN HIS BODY CAN KEEP UP WITH...

BTM's seem to develop a little faster than most. The clumsy stage with Macaws lasts about 6 months to two years, with two years being the way outside mark.

Usually there is just a point where a little light switch goes on in their head.

The clumsy stage for CAG'S on the other hand?! Well Tusk is now about 11 years old... we're still waiting!

Re: Macaw clumsiness

I also wonder if it has something to do with the nails just being done. They are very blunt, but s/he sure doesn't have any problems flying around.

I also wonder if it has something to do with the nails just being done. They are very blunt, but s/he sure doesn't have any problems flying around.

Well if he just got his nails done, maybe he was expecting to be able to hold on a little better. Just like the first time they get clipped and they crash land. He just hasn't learned to adjust yet...

BTM's are amazing. That little baby BEFORE HE FINISHED HANDFEEDING, learned how to open the cage door, AND CLIMB STAIRS. He didn't even slow down to aim. When he figured out where we were it was full speed ahead, up the stairs, up the leg, and back on the lap with the "spikey hairdoo" head bob thing going on...

It's funny, if you wiggle your fingers in front of her/him she fluffs up expecting a scritch.

It's funny, if you wiggle your fingers in front of her/him she fluffs up expecting a scritch.

Now, that would be my red lored amazon and my red fronted macaw...

I like the BTM Spike-y hair thing...

You just wait! Play with this bird awhile, and you'll be a macaw addict in no time. And BTM's are a lot like RFM's, they will play with anyone who wants to play with them. They know how to tug on those heart strings.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back