Lost my IRN last week

HK45

Jun 30, 2024
My 4.5 year old Indian Ringneck ā€œGrinchā€ passed away this past week. Wednesday night all the way up to 10pm bedtime he was his normal active chatty self and dancing. The next morning at 6:00am while checking on him before work I noticed he was a bit lethargic, his balance and energy wasnā€™t quite right. I checked everything and noticed his water bottle was empty. I started using a large Lixit water bottle about 3 years ago and would always replace it as it got down to half or so. One other time it went dry and he made plenty of noise and shook the bottle making sure I knew about it. Heā€™d do it even when his food was getting low(fed him twice a day religiously). I felt terrible and took care of it and he was fine. I have a soundproofing setup in the room which I keep the birds and do my side work(apartment). So I have a soundproofing blanket which shielded his cage from AC draft as well as noise on the back and side with the cage turned to the side by a window. On the side with the blanket was his bottle behind the blanket. In hindsight this was one of my mistakes as I couldnā€™t monitor it like I could his food. This time he didnā€™t warn me and I didnā€™t notice it which was absolutely my fault. I took away food, replaced it with a bowl of water and refilled the bottle. I put a security camera on his cage to monitor him while at work checking in every 10-15 mins. He was doing a bit better, was drinking consistently, was climbing around better, was having consistent productive bowel movements but was sleeping more than usual. I thought he was going to be OK. I came home early at lunch and found him sitting in the water and clinging to the cage half conscious. I hurried him to the emergency avian vet but he passed away on the way there. After reading up on this I realize my second mistake was waiting and monitoring instead of taking him right away at the sign of something being different. Iā€™m taking it quite hard. We picked him out when he was newly hatched, took him home, I was totally obsessed with him and making sure he was cared for. Read books, watched videos, lurked forums making sure I knew everything about care, training, diet, health, etc. We made a tradition out of visiting bird stores on every vacation. Work life in the past month became busier and rushed, I became complacent, so routine that I didnā€™t stop to check that bottle every single day. It would be a waste if there wasnā€™t a takeaway from something so terrible. ALWAYS have multiple sources of water visible, get your bird used to being weighed and do it regularly, donā€™t rely on bottles as this can happen or they can malfunction, and take them to the vet immediately if thereā€™s anything outside their norm. Itā€™s something that will haunt me forever.

My 4.5 year old Indian Ringneck ā€œGrinchā€ passed away this past week. Wednesday night all the way up to 10pm bedtime he was his normal active chatty self and dancing. The next morning at 6:00am while checking on him before work I noticed he was a bit lethargic, his balance and energy wasnā€™t quite right. I checked everything and noticed his water bottle was empty. I started using a large Lixit water bottle about 3 years ago and would always replace it as it got down to half or so. One other time it went dry and he made plenty of noise and shook the bottle making sure I knew about it. Heā€™d do it even when his food was getting low(fed him twice a day religiously). I felt terrible and took care of it and he was fine. I have a soundproofing setup in the room which I keep the birds and do my side work(apartment). So I have a soundproofing blanket which shielded his cage from AC draft as well as noise on the back and side with the cage turned to the side by a window. On the side with the blanket was his bottle behind the blanket. In hindsight this was one of my mistakes as I couldnā€™t monitor it like I could his food. This time he didnā€™t warn me and I didnā€™t notice it which was absolutely my fault. I took away food, replaced it with a bowl of water and refilled the bottle. I put a security camera on his cage to monitor him while at work checking in every 10-15 mins. He was doing a bit better, was drinking consistently, was climbing around better, was having consistent productive bowel movements but was sleeping more than usual. I thought he was going to be OK. I came home early at lunch and found him sitting in the water and clinging to the cage half conscious. I hurried him to the emergency avian vet but he passed away on the way there. After reading up on this I realize my second mistake was waiting and monitoring instead of taking him right away at the sign of something being different. Iā€™m taking it quite hard. We picked him out when he was newly hatched, took him home, I was totally obsessed with him and making sure he was cared for. Read books, watched videos, lurked forums making sure I knew everything about care, training, diet, health, etc. We made a tradition out of visiting bird stores on every vacation. Work life in the past month became busier and rushed, I became complacent, so routine that I didnā€™t stop to check that bottle every single day. It would be a waste if there wasnā€™t a takeaway from something so terrible. ALWAYS have multiple sources of water visible, get your bird used to being weighed and do it regularly, donā€™t rely on bottles as this can happen or they can malfunction, and take them to the vet immediately if thereā€™s anything outside their norm. Itā€™s something that will haunt me forever.
Welcome to the forums @HK45, but I'm awfully sorry for the loss that brought you here. Many of us here have lost, or almost lost, beloved birds in similar circumstances, or through terrible accidents, including me, and so we understand how badly this kind of loss hurts. I have a little varied lorikeet who flies like a missile and I have to have eyes in the back of my head with him, I've lost count of the number of times either my hubby or I have almost sat on him, he's safely in the bird room one moment and on the couch the next!! Thank you for sharing your story because it may help to save another. Please accept my sincere condolences, I know how much your heart is hurting. Perhaps in time you may feel able to open your heart to another bird who needs a forever home, because you sound like a very loving bird parent to me. šŸ’

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about Grinch. We all make mistakes, and accidents truly do happen. Grinch sounds like he was loved, and cared for. Itā€™s very admirable that you are speaking about the situation honestly. It may help save another parrot. My Jenday uses a water bottle, and she also shakes it if she doesnā€™t get enough water out. I should pay better attention to this. Thank you again for sharing your story.

Oh dear! SO sorry to hear about your baby :'( . I'm currently using a water bottle. I should add a bowl in there, too, in case the bottle dog capoot. **Sends hugs and my critters send bird seed**

Thank you for the positive thoughts and support from you all. I got him cremated and back home yesterday. Definitely a weird somber feeling without the greeting and noise at home. Expecting the random shrieks and words that arenā€™t coming. Itā€™s getting a bit easier but what a processā€¦Iā€™ve lost other pets due to old age but the intelligence, bond, and process of caring for a bird is on another level, especially so sudden. I still have two budgies who also know something isnā€™t right. Lessons learned and will make sure not to repeat it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back