Lorikeets?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Are lorikeets easy to take care of? I thought i read somewhere they eat necter and fruit, and are somewhat difficult to care for. I am looking to get a parrot, and want something small, cuddly, (somewhat) quiet and all around a simple bird to care for. My short list of candidates is as follows: Lovebird, cockatiel, parrotlet, small conure or perhaps a dove. Are lorikeets anything like these birds?
Thanks!:blue:

Thanks, i'll be sure to check it out!

What I've heard is that they make super pets, but because of the nectar diet, their poop is essentially liquid and they squirt. Therefore they are really difficult to handle as house pets, but might be great in an outdoor aviary. I do know of one intrepid young bird owner who had (probably still has) one in her bedroom, but she hauled the cage outside and hosed it every day!

We go feed the Lorikeets almost every time we go to the Oregon Zoo (which is quite often, we're members) I wouldnt want one in my house not only do they squirt... they do it a lot. The ones at the zoo are fun to feed though, they will sit on you to eat but aren't hand tame.. kids get bit all the time because they tried to pet

meeting them in person they have super muscly legs. I would be more inclined to call them clowns, than cuddly (they always seem to be swinging or upside down, lol), though im sure they can be both. As an ekkie owner who already makes as much food every day, i did consider a lorikeet as a second bird a year ago... All it would take is the addition of their mix, and perhaps some perspex around the bottom of the cage to protect the house walls from mess. XD
I am one of those people who will tell you to go for it, if you do your research and are prepared for the work involved. - once you start doing it on a daily basis, it will feel normal and wont really be that much more effort at all. :)

but i would not be inclined to attribute the words "all around simple" to a lorikeet, at all. XD

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back