little nibbles

kainer

Sep 23, 2012
Parrots
blue fronted amazon
ive had my bf amazon for about 4 months now he is only 7 months old all in all. he has settled in nicely .loves to scream and whistle .he is tame comes to my hand and does a few tricks . sometimes when i get him out the cage he tends to bite my fingers not extremly hard but enough to feel it . i wos just wondering if this is where he is exited because hes just come out the cage :green:

It may very well be a "testing" phase. Definitely excitement, too.

Does he do the "up" and "down" fairly easily? By that I mean, each time you ask him to come onto your hand/finger, you tell him "up" or "step up". And when you put him down you go the opposite "down" "step down". This is one of the easiest commands to teach. He should be so used the command that he automatically lifts his foot when you ask him to step up. :)

Amazons WILL test you. Perhaps not all of them, but the majority will IMHO. Just went through something similar with my 5 month old double yellow head. For the very first time instead of "stepping up", I received a growl, flaired tail and wings, and trying to go for me. I stayed perfectly calm, did NOT allow him to bite me, until he finally realized I wasn't going to back down. :eek: He resorted to be his sweet old self in under 20 seconds.

How Wrude! LOL welcome to the forum just be sure to softly but sternly say "No!" when he beaks you don't make it a drama just a consistance thing and if you catch him leaning in and say "noooo" keeping it from happening it will help reenforce the no bitting rule.

Welcome to the forum:)

I agree with friedsoup, firmly saying "No" does eventually work.

We would love to see some pics.

thanks for the replys . he does do the up and down command until you try to get him back in the cage, he flys off then he can be a bit stubborn lol . i also think he is in the testing stage as he has tried flairing up and had a bit of a growl but as you say i just dont back down and say nooo . hes starting to pick up on what it means .i was just wondering if his behaviour was normal for his age . thanks .

Attachments

• 2012-06-17 19.45.26.jpg
    2012-06-17 19.45.26.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 2012-06-20 07.06.13.jpg
    2012-06-20 07.06.13.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 2012-06-18 18.21.49.jpg
    2012-06-18 18.21.49.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 2012-08-17 17.27.44.jpg
    2012-08-17 17.27.44.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 169
Yes it 's normal behavior. They're just testing to see if the flock needs another leader. Just looking to see where he fit's in. He also doesn't know how hard a bite is acceptable. It's up to you to let him know.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back