Letter to Landlord

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
So as my tenancy agreement has been updated I noticed the wording has been changed regarding pets now being that I need written permission for a pet of any form.

I was just wondering if I could get a proof-read/assistance in writing a letter to my Landlord asking for a pet bird.

So far I have this written: I was wondering If I could have permission to keep a small pet bird within the property?

I am aware there's probably concerns over any such pet in regards to any pet. I've had previous experience in keep pet birds in the past and am confident that I could keep a bird without an impact upon the property. I have researched already between different species known for their low volume and lack of dander and would keep away from any that would cause any trouble in these regards.

But I feel like it's not quite right, I'm just not entirely sure where

I think it's fine.

I'm torn between telling them you already have the bird (makes a good argument for showing it's no problem to anybody) versus not telling (what if they say no?would you try to hide the fid?).

Let's see what everybody thinks.

So as my tenancy agreement has been updated I noticed the wording has been changed regarding pets now being that I need written permission for a pet of any form.

I was just wondering if I could get a proof-read/assistance in writing a letter to my Landlord asking for a pet bird.

So far I have this written: I was wondering If I could have permission to keep a small pet bird within the property?

I am aware there's probably concerns over any such pet in regards to any pet. I've had previous experience in keep pet birds in the past and am confident that I could keep a bird without an impact upon the property. I have researched already between different species known for their low volume and lack of dander and would keep away from any that would cause any trouble in these regards.

But I feel like it's not quite right, I'm just not entirely sure where

Your starting from the wrong position!

- You are a known Tenant, who has well cared for the unit over these many XX years
- You are an experienced Parrot Owner, whom is currently between Parrots.
- You will be obtaining a Xxxxx Species of Parrots on or about (Date).
- This Parrot is one of the mid - smaller Species with a history of not being noisy
- Thank-you, in advance for your approval.

You are a known Tenant and represent a want for them too renew your agreement. Try writing in this frame of mind! I believe you will be happier and more comfortable with your document.

I would be more than happy to help out! I have worn the professional hat of "author" as well as the personal hat of "renting an apartment in the city and I love my pets, please landlord, take pity on my multi species family!"

Do you have a property manager? I had good luck with face to face meetings. I had a dog and a cat in addition to the three birds and a lizard when I and my ex moved to the apartment. The apartment allowed 1 dog under 30 pounds and well behaved (certain breeds not allowed, any complaints and pupper gotta go) or a cat or "cage pets" like birds, fish etc. The manager fell in love with my critters and she helped us figure out a way to keep everyone. The maintenance guys LOOOOVED coming to our apartment; they couldn't get enough of the "petting zoo" we had, haha.

Annd then I started working with the local feral cats and the apartment at one time had an additional 7 (!) Foster cats. The apartment knew I was working with the wildcats doing tnr and adopting out kittwns/friendly cats (long story, another day) but I am not sure if they knew about the fosters in the apartment. Lol, I am absolutely the "it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" type, but the letter is a good and responsible idea.

Good luck! Tho as long as they are quiet ones, I'm not personally aware of anybody who has been denied a pet bird in a rental property. As rage inducing as it is, most rental places consider them on the same level as hamster and fish: as "cage pets". (As an aside, small rodents deserve out of cage time and affection too!)

Sent from phone pre coffee but talky, hope this post is helpful. :)

Sorry for double post, Sailboat is absolutely correct! You are paying them and have a history as a tennant there! Use this to your advantage!

:)

Good catch on the wording change in the tenancy agreement, it’s always good to be ahead of these things. My personal opinion is that I wouldn’t start the letter by highlighting that they probably have concerns - it could start with a negative impression. I think you are simply asking for permission to have a pet and I would keep it simple.

Just ideas below.... :).

As identified in my tenancy agreement, I’d like to request permission to keep a small pet bird in my unit. I have previous experience keeping birds, am a responsible pet owner, and am confident in my ability to keep a bird without impact to the property. I have done a lot of research into species that are appropriate for apartment living (low noise, low dander, etc). If permission is given, I would be sure to stay within those species to be respectful of my neighbours and the property.

Sorry for double post, Sailboat is absolutely correct! You are paying them and have a history as a tennant there! Use this to your advantage!

:)

Not a problem! Your advise is well stated.

I'm not a big fan of the "better to beg forgiveness" position when there is a change in the Contract Documents. As this type of change is commonly driven by the around the clock barker or grass and parking lot surprises or bitters. Rarely Parrots.

Our Association wants to know what pets. At present, the biggest complaint is not getting a good seat to watch our DYH Amazon yell at the Turkey and Deer!

What are the legal restrictions in your area for changing contracts? Some places here allow new leases to be applied to all, and some require existing tenants to be grandfathered in. For example, a place that has been pet friendly but suddenly decides no dogs - there are some cities where if you were an existing tenant with a dog you would be allowed to keep it, but not get any more dogs. Some cities you would be out of luck. It depends on the locality. Also, some times if you complete the terms of your lease it continues on a month-to-month basis on the same terms, so you don't have to sign any new agreement. Some leases might specify that terms may change, sign new version, etc. You have to just research the laws for your place. Also ... get the definition of "pet". They have to define every term. Is a pet a dog or cat? Maybe call, ask if you will be evicted for a pet goldfish, or a canary, then ask them for something in writing that says what a "pet" is, and maybe they'll send you a letter saying dog or cat or ferret and forget about bird.

If you have a copy of your current lease handy, a careful reading of fine print may clarify your options. And don't sign the new agreement unless you have to ... the management might give them to everyone, figuring most people will sign, but you might not be required to.

Not sure of the tenancy laws in the U.K, but there ought be a difference between an existing tenant vs one interested in becoming a tenant.

My guess is they are simply tightening control, perhaps because of a bad experience? Most concerns are for barking/biting dogs and urinating cats! I'd imagine your interest in a medium sized parrot would be acceptable.

I have no idea about England, but here in the South East USA pet cats and dogs in apartments are common. Most apartments allow them with a deposit. Birds are treated the same, refundable deposit if there is no damage. If you move get pictures before you leave. I had a landlord that tried to keep all my deposits for damages. Ended up going to small claims, judge took one look at the pictures I had, asked the landlord for proof of damage/picture. Landlord had a receipt for a cleaning company but no pictures. Judge made the landlord give me the entirety of my deposits back.

Also don’t be surprised if they ask for a pet deposit in case you move out at a later date. They will want to cover themselves against potential damage to the apartment unit.

I agree with the others. Look into the fact that you had a pet before and they did not object. Word the letter in a positive way and do say you are a proven good tenant. It goes a long way.

The rental market in Sydney is insane and unfortunately, there is such demand that landlords can pick and choose tenants, often at the expense of tenants with pets. So don't worry - I understand your desire to be particular, and you should.

Try and be as honest as you can (to your advantage) - because the details you omit, if the landlord ever wants to chase can really be trouble you don't want.

What most people have said here is good advice.

* Remind them of how long you've been with them, and if you have done so - remind them that you pay on time every month/however often you pay.
* Describe the size of the bird, and advise them the species you're getting is renowned for being quiet in nature (even if this doesn't eventuate to your experience)
* If it helps (and applicable in the area you live), suggest that you'd be willing to agree to a pre-paid 'pet bond' amount - and if upon your exit they find any damage they can prove was related to your owning a bird, you can forfeit that amount at the end of the tenancy, to pay for repairs or cleaning.

I told my landlord my parrot is kept caged. This is not true however I think many landlords are spooked by the thought of a free-flighted pet. If you keep an eye on your bird and clean up after them it will not be obvious to the contrary. If you have play stands or things they use outside, either store them or take them outside for inspections. If they ask - "I take my bird outside for sunlight. They're trained to stay in place while they're out with me."

This of course is a risk, but one I'm willing to take personally. Mind you I've not had an inspection with Remi yet so I'm crossing all the crossable things that this tactic is successful.

I Think I finally cracked the email I want to send the LL of my apartment. Hoping someone would agree this is a good shoe in to a "yes"

I will admit I'm tempted to just go ahead considering the Landlord lives in Hong Kong but I would rather be polite and avoid burning a bridge later especially if I were to look for a reference for any future places, plus I wouldn't want to have to worry about something being brought up at the end of the tenancy when estate agents appear to take photos

Dear ****,

I am writing requesting permission to keep a small caged pet bird on the property.

I have spent time researching into as suitable a bird as possible, looking at a Blue Throated Conure which I hope to be acquiring in April providing permission to be granted by yourself. I have looked at this species of bird specifically due to their extremely quiet nature and lack of dander making them highly unlikely to disturb neighbors and any allergy sufferers. I have had pet birds in the past and have access to extensive information on all manner of bird behavior so am aware of the methods to keep them happy and quiet.

I hope that I have shown myself to be a reliable and courteous in respect to payments and upkeep of the property and hope this will factor into your decision on the matter. I am more than happy to sign a pet agreement covering any potential concerns you would have regarding keeping a small animal on the property. If you were to have any questions regarding this please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards

And as I believe to be some sort of sign from the divine the first two chicks from the breeder have been pulled from the nest for hand-feeding meaning they're be ready to have a deposit soon!

It's been my experience that a change in any existing agreement is usually to react to a specific problem. If you're not the cause of the problem you likely have nothing to worry about.

true, but my LL was never aware only the letting agent who only gave me verbal permission has now retired with my LL managing the property. They're pretty relaxed about things so I'm hopeful that they will be okay with me keeping one in the place, thankfully I'm not asking for a cat or dog and made sure to say caged to ease worries of chewed bits around the place

I'd send the letter as is! It is written respectfully and contains a very reasonable request. Does not sound like a glib "canned" PR campaign. Many folks would be inclined to keep a small bird undercover and not bother to ask, so brownie points for honesty and a spirit of cooperation.

Yeah I'm basing it off my own thought of what I would do if I was a landlord, pretty much anyone could have a pet as long as they asked before but I'd be peeved to find out about a pet after. A little respect goes a long way you know?

Anywho, the email has been sent. Now I wait with baited breath

It's been my experience that a change in any existing agreement is usually to react to a specific problem. If you're not the cause of the problem you likely have nothing to worry about.

I'd bet money on this.

my last work before becoming fully disabled.
i gen managed 15 location 450 units for 20yrs in Omaha,Ne
believe me a letter is not the way to go do a face to face on something like pets.
a letter would only put me in the mind that you did not want a face to face so it
could become a problem. believe me when you manage rentals letters like yours
makes it looks like you are avoiding a face to face, which is a red flag. if you can't get a face to face at least do it on the phone
as you may get a bunch of question that need answered. lots of folks wont ask for a deposit for caged animals i know i didn't
and i was hard on the pets. after a few times of having to rescue dogs from tenants who where mistreating them one way or another
or chase tenants cats through buildings to get them back to where they belong.
i was so hard on it that if you came at me wanting a pet you better had never been late on rent no exceptions
and if i thought you lived wrong {drunk, dope fiend} hell they where easy to turn down,they ain't taking care of themselves so
what would happen to pets.
i have been lucky i have found a bunch of rental's where im moving willing to allow the parrots no deposit, but also no Cockatoo's or McCaws
due to the screaming they do. it has been a lot harder to find a hotel for a week while moving in, the dog is cool but the parrots not and the hotel people
wont budge on it. so i guess i have to take the one that would and see if the saying is true"we leave the lights on for you" Motel 6.
also fell into a good rental built in a stand of trees large patio creek running through the back way off the beaten path very secure and privacy out
the ying yang no other close residential only business and right on the edge of town ,where i like to be where i can sit outside and watch the wildlife.

good luck with your landlord, if ya been a good tenant it should not be a problem for ya,if they say no find a new place to live
dont let anyone stand in your way here. do what you want, not others

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back