Leg banding questions

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
I will be getting a Hahn's macaw in a couple of weeks from a breeder in Pennsylvania. I was told that state laws do not require banding and the bird will not be banded. I was under the impression that all captive bred birds needed to be banded. If it is not required in PA, I live in NY state. Is it still fine that the bird is not banded? I tried looking for state laws on banding and found no results.

§174.9 Identification of Birds

(a) All captive bred birds subject to the provisions of this Part must be marked with (1) a seamless leg band, or (2) a butt-end leg band applied by a bird breeder licensed pursuant to174.4 of this Part, when the bird is offered for sale or sold except as otherwise permitted pursuant to sections 174.3 and 174.4 of this Part. Such butt-end leg bands must be visibly marked with the breeder's identifying number.
(b) In the event that a band is removed for medical reasons a veterinarian licensed in the State of New York will either apply his or her own band with his or her identifying number or apply the band of a licensed bird breeder or not band the bird. If the owner of the bird wishes to sell this bird, it must be banded as noted above and he or she must notify the department within 10 days of replacement of the band, of the date of replacement, name and address of the attending veterinarian, the reason why the band was removed and the identifying number on the replacement band.

So yes, your bird must be banded in New York.

New York State Bird Regs

There, that should be more help!

I think if the bird is bred or purchased in NY state it must have a band. Since it is from PA, maybe not?

I think if the bird is bred or purchased in NY state it must have a band. Since it is from PA, maybe not?

Yes, exactly! There are always so many variations to those 'rules'. If you want to play it 100% safe, I'd call the agency and ask them.

I'm not entirely sure if the number is still the same, but here you go:
(716) 372-0645

Are they going to come into your home an check your bird?

Like in my city, they "require" you to have your dog 'licensed'...which is basically just a fee you pay to the city to own a dog. I have never 'licensed' a dog in my entire life, it seems absolutely silly. And a majority of people i have ever known with dogs have never put a license on.

Just my opinions. My first thought is, who is going to police the fact you took your birds band off? Angel has a band i would like to try and get off, i will ask the local vet here if they can do it.

I tried to track my Buddy's leg band but found nothing. Buddy is a 25 yo GCA. You can try to research or find info but you may come up with little or nothing. Is the breeder information highly important to you?

As per the New York regulations listed in the posted link, it really doesn't matter where the bird is hatched, if it is not exempt, it has to have a band if you plan to sell it and/or otherwise transfer the bird within the state of New York and if you were to get caught trying to sell an unbanded bird, the law provides for fines of over $300. So, if you decide you can't keep the bird, and want to sell it or even give it away, while you are still in the state of New York, you either have to have an original band on the bird or have an open band assigned to the bird according to state regulations...or...be subject to the posted fines.....

You don't want to be considered a 'scofflaw' do you?

Well I found out more info. A leg band is not required to be on a bird unless it is being sold by a breeder or store in NYS. Since my bird is purchased in PA, I don't have to get a band put on. Plus most vets around me usually remove the band first thing.

Most Reactions

Back