L shaped cage

Kap

Oct 17, 2024
Parrots
Budgies
Designing a cage for my pair of budgies to be. Some questions:

-The basic cage is to be roughly 4x4x4ft. It is to be in an "alcove" with no view except front and top. Do I bother with mesh on the invisible sides or can I have just a rigid cage wall. What material can the wall be-obviously not plywood.

-In addition I am able to provide a 2x2 (width x height) "extension" to make for an L shaped cage of a total flight length of 8 feet (including main cage). Is this appropriate and worth it to provide a good flight space? Can dimensions be reduced to 18x18 inch? If one dimension could be reduced, should it be width or height?

-Will this be adequate if more budgies we to be added.

-I entirely understand the issues with acrylic cages. But could *some* surfaces be acrylic? I say this from a warmth point of view. I am thinking top of the main cage, with holes and a non draughty (and safe) extractor fan for humidity)

Sounds like you are building a cleaning /access nightmare that will likely have ventilation issues and lack nature light. In addition, what would happen it you need to move your birds out and away quickly from your home?

Commonly one would want the birds in an area in which they can see you and be part of what is happening around them. Placed in an area that is cut off, like an alcove, would not be my first choice.

The mistake that most make is using inexpensive materials which are commonly dangerous to birds.

Recommend a rethinking of your location and approach.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back