Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I am so happy with my day off today. Brent and I decided since I had homework and he had editing to do, and we wanted to see each other, we would lock the cats in the basement for the day and give Kyo the run of the living room. If you haven't read any of my previous posts, Kyo seems to really dislike Brent.

He has been spending time with her while I'm at work every day, giving her treats and talking to her through the safety of her cage bars. She was starting to let him give her scratches and even playing games with him. We felt it was time to try letting her out in neutral territory with both of us there.

She was GREAT! She flew to him immediately, but did not get aggressive! She instead went into cuddle mode and started doing Rollies on the blanket Brent had on him and I thought his heart was going to melt. She has never shown him this much trust before.

She did nip him a few times, but immediately responded to him telling her "be gentle" (like she does for me). It was so nice to be able to let her out around him without her going into attack mode. She stayed with us for about an hour before she finally got a bit overstimulated and I took her back upstairs to calm down.

Just thought I would share the happy update :) Maybe she is happy that we finally tied the knot :p

Coincidentally it happened right after you got married... Kyo is happy about it :p

Sweet update! Kyo couldn't have chosen a nicer wedding gift for you.

That's awesome news, I bet that feels so good!

That's great news! I'm happy for you, Kyo and Brent!

THANKS EVERYONE. We are so happy to share even more of our time together with her from here forward :) The cats will not be happy however lol but they get the run of the house all day so I put my foot down and said it's Kyo's turn!!

We took her over to my parents tonight, and once again she was such a good girl!! She is getting so much better about socializing with other people :) in fact, she went to sleep on Brent's shoulder tonight. So happy our hard work is paying off.

Another good day today after a few bitty days - Daddy stayed in her room with us for 20 minutes without being nipped at all - just kisses :) Just goes to show, even with bad days there can still be progress!

Awesome i'm so happy that kyo is getting used to your husband. I'm sure kyo will benefit from the relationship as-well. :D

If she ever gets to the point that she doesn't nip him constantly he will be able to let her out more when I'm at work, since he is home during the day most of the time.

She is such a good girl. So independent, tolerant, and just darn cute. She's the perfect bird for me. I am so happy that we decided to adopt a conure into our family.

Another update :) We had a fantastic night of socializing at my parents' house tonight.

Kyo was out for the entire evening while we ate, did dishes, and edited photos. She had my parents, us, and my parents neighbours over and was so good! The only person she bit was me, for taking her off of Brent (she was preening his beard and he got nervous she would bite) but she was mostly glued to him snuggling into his shoulder. It was so sweet.

She is still really territorial towards him at home for the most part, but we have had some good moments here and there. We are going to be taking her with us on our honey moon to a cabin outside of town and it will be a great opportunity to get her and Brent even more acquainted. I plan to bring her ceramic heater with us, and keep her in the bedroom at the cabin to allow us to use the fireplace safely (it is ventilated to send the smoke outside), but we will put towels under the door to make sure she doesn't get anywhere near smoke.

Very much looking forward to a week being unplugged, and I can't wait to come home with an update and hopefully lots of progress :3

I just want to say that your hubby is a sweetie for agreeing to bring Kyo on your honeymoon. I don't think I would ever convince my hubby to bring tiki on vacation (although I will sure try whenever we can afford a vacation, hahah).

I just want to say that your hubby is a sweetie for agreeing to bring Kyo on your honeymoon. I don't think I would ever convince my hubby to bring tiki on vacation (although I will sure try whenever we can afford a vacation, hahah).

I am very lucky. He is the most understanding and caring person I've ever met. That's why I married him. :)

Well I wouldn't give the hubby too much credit. He probably figured if he didn't let you bring him along that you'd leave the hubby home and take Kyo on your honeymoon. LOL

Well I wouldn't give the hubby too much credit. He probably figured if he didn't let you bring him along that you'd leave the hubby home and take Kyo on your honeymoon. LOL

HAHAHA fair enough ;)

Most Reactions

Back