Keeping a male and female amazon?

Justify

Dec 20, 2010
Parrots
Odin Odyssius - Yellow Crowned Amazon,
Amy Baby Banshee - Blue Fronted Amazon
I currently have a male YCA, who's almost a year old. I've always wanted to have a large flock, and have been looking into getting a second bird for a while now, so that my boy has someone to talk to when I'm not around (he loves chatting to my boyfriend's parrot). I now have the opportunity to take on an 18 month old female BFA. I met her a couple of days ago, and I was instantly in love. She stepped up happily for me, and was chattering away, all fluffed up and happy. She is the only amazon I've met that didn't have any sign of being a one-person bird and of being genuinely excited by new people (rather than just politely stepping-up). I'm just concerned about having a male and female amazon. I don't want them to breed, and they won't be housed in the same cage (I am also prepared for the possibility of them not getting along) but my main worry is that they may want to mate - which will increase any hormonal problems tenfold...
Anyone owned two of these birds at once?
Any advice?
:green:

There is always risk involved when adding another bird .Harmones shouldn't be an issue for several years to come. The problem with young birds is that they need time to bond with humans before being introduced to other birds or other wise they may bond with each other and not be the pet you wanted.If separated harmones shouldn't be that much more of an issue than normal and mating is easy enough to prevent.

Thanks, Henpecked, that's good advice. I'm glad the hormones wouldn't be an issue if they weren't housed together. I suppose too I could move their cages to other parts of the house during mating season...

I'm just wondering though, wouldn't it be easier to introduce young birds, rather than older birds? If not, what age would be best to introduce another bird? After they reach sexual maturity?

Most Reactions

Back