Just got a Timneh African Grey, have some questions.

Seamusokitty

Oct 8, 2013
Clovis, NM
Parrots
Pepé - Green Cheek Conure
Sensi - Timneh African Grey
Really simple questions and curiosity stuff...
First Question: that I am wondering if she will grab food with her foot in the future. She is about 4 months old and I haven't seen her do it yet. She will just let the food drop after a few bites. Even if she loves the food.
Second question: What is the best approach to have her bond with us? My husband and I sit on the ground with her every night and talk to her, let her sit on our shoulder, feed her treats, let her walk around etc... During the day time (before or after work) I'll let her sit on my knee and talk to her. My husband comes home on his lunch and lets her out and talks to her and holds her for about 15 mins then has to go back to work. What else can do we do make her feel very comfortable around us and happy to see us?
Third Question: How to stop the hard nibbles? As of right now, she is still a little nibbler. I will let her bite me until she stops. It hurts, but it doesn't draw blood. She has bit me harder (I think testing me) and I make a "chhh" noise and it stops her. I have read you aren't supposed to pull away because that means they win. But how do I get her to stop? Continue what I am doing or is there a better method?

f3669ZS.jpg

congrats. she's so pretty. <3

1) she will eventually. when birds are young and still weaning, they might have trouble
eating their food properly until they figure it out when they're older. for a timneh, she
might start eating properly around 6-7 months of age. try giving her larger pieces of
say apples and she will eventually get that holding it with her foot will help.

2) have her with you at all times if you can, or at least 4-6 hours a day and give her
lots of love and attention. she'll bond to you in no time. :) if she's with you in a new
room she's never been in before.. she might be nervous and a bit quiet so don't force
her to do anything when she's not feeling comfortable. also i recommend cuddles
when she wakes up and before bed. ;D

3) i'm still trying to figure that out properly. some birds i've noticed pick up on their
owners' "No"s with a certain tone or your chhh sounds. my amazon always nibbles on
my fingers and i gently blow on his face to make him shake his head and let go and
say No as well. sometimes he just stops and sometimes he continues haha. but yes,
never pull back and show them they hurt you or something. it'll make them get worse.

Four months old is still just a little baby. She's testing her world, and all she can use is her beak. Yes, show your displeasure with the harder bites, but, the nibbles are her way of exploring. Even in the nest, clutchmates will beak each other, and everything else. Give her time, these intelligent creatures have to sort things out slowly. She'll learn more as she grows. A four month old Grey is like a young human toddler.

Aww, congratulations! She's a looker!

I second what everyone else has said, she is still a baby and learning her way around and birds use their mouths to explore. As she becomes more experienced she will learn what is really acceptable and what isn't and who to love :)

Socialization sounds about right. Give the bird time to bond. Grays especially take their own sweet time. They're very cautious that way... (As compared to say, Amazon and Macaw "instant crush" behaviors.

The method I always used is "bite pressure" training. Essentially, it is what you are doing, and you need to communicate to the bird when he is applying too much bite pressure.

My CAG still says "Owww! That hurts. That's too hard." He picked it up in context, and actually uses it back with people when they are annoying him to the point of "if you don't take the hint that's what you will be saying in a few seconds..." It's especially funny when he is hanging upside down by one toe, and beating up his toys, and making them talk. "Oww! Stop it! That Hurts! That's too hard! Knock it off!" Just like a little kid making their dolls talk when they are playing alone in a room...

You stop the interaction for a few seconds when the bird applies too much bite pressure. They generally get this one in a matter of hours, to days. This is the age to do it with...

If the bird actually bites, i.e. latches on and draws blood, or attempts to draw blood, I tend to drop the bird to the floor, and let him sit there a minute and think about what he just did. He will want off the floor at that point... He doesn't get off the floor until he steps up nice without biting... (once he does all is forgiven, like it never happened. No drama.)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back