Jango injured his right foot...but how bad?

DesiConure

Oct 14, 2015
Parrots
Conure (Green Cheek mixed with Cinnamon).
:confused:

Today my mom accidentally stepped on Jango's right foot while he snuck up behind her feet as she was cooking something...she stepped back to get something and BAM stepped on his right foot.

His right foot is limp and has no gripping strength in it. I don't know if it is sprained, broken or what. When I put him on the floor he walks normal speed on both feet...he doesn't lift one leg and hop up or anything like that when on the floor to get across from one end to the other.

It is however his gripping strength that is obvious; he has lost gripping strength in the foot. What could be the issue(s)? What should I look out for?

Ouch! That sounds painful considering how small and delicate their feet are. I'd definitely visit a vet to make sure nothing is broken. This could go downhill fast (i.e. Loosing the entire leg). It may also not be as bad as I'm describing but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Triple that!

More than likely your baby is going to be maimed for life, but please see a vet! If your foot , or your child's foot was this way, what would you do?

Last edited:
I agree. I'd definitely go to a vet to be sure. BoomBoom is right. A broken bone in the foot can potentially lead to the loss of said foot. It's possible that it's only a sprain or something, but why risk it?

He is only almost 5 months old; I got him end of August and at that time he was close 2.5 months old. My mom stepped on his foot; not the leg. I will look at vet tomorrow.

By the way is it true that birds such as a GCC instinctively try to hide or play off their injuries so as not to show other flock members that they are injured/vulnerable? Jango is the only bird I have; not to mention the only and first pet I've ever owned.

Yes, it's definitely true. For their own protection, birds will hide their illnesses to the best of their ability. An injured or sick bird will be slower, and less able to defend itself. This, of course, draws predators.

So they'd hide this weakness from predator and flock member alike. After all, one weak bird could draw a predator and endanger the entire flock.

Please keep us updated with what happens with the vet. I hope it's nothing serious.

Yes, please keep us updated, even if ugly, we all make unforgivable mistakes(speaking for myself), more important that we learn and make right!

Poor Jango. I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please follow all the good advice you've been given and get Jango to a vet as soon as possible. I hope its a minor injury but please don't take that chance.

Thanks for the considerate input, advice & reassurances everyone! :)

I have an UPDATE on Jango's status. He was examined and taken x-rays of at an Avian Vet yesterday. The vet said x-rays show no sign of fractures on Jango's injured right leg. That was a relief to hear. He said the swelling and considerable loss of strength and movement on Jango's leg is as a result of blunt force trauma when his leg was accidentally stepped on (my mom feels horrible).

The vet gave Metacam and said for me to give Jango a once/daily dose of it. This is by far the hardest thing to do because Jango will not stay still for me to squirt the formula into his mouth via the "graduated syringe" (i.e. everything with the syringe minus the syringe obviously).

First off, let me say how happy I am that no bones were fractured. I'm so relieved for you and Jango both. (Not to mention your poor, guilt-ridden mother.)

As for getting him to take the metacam, my advice is to give it to him in the morning, before breakfast, when he's at his hungriest. That has helped quite a bit in the past when I've had to medicate birds.

When I had to administer oral medication via syringe to Boomer, toweling him really helped. Google the proper procedure. Give him a nice treat after.

You can also try mixing it with a little yogurt on a teaspoon (my bird loves it) as long as he finishes the whole thing.

Most Reactions

Back