paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
OK is it safe to give a Senegal news paper to rip up as we have thousends of paper that needs using and I know it will leave a mess but nothing a Hoover can't clean up right ;)

Most birds chew on paper and cardboard with absolutely no harmful effects.
For many birds, paper is a fun and inexpensive item with which to play with.
Ink used for newsprint is nontoxic nowadays because it must meet safety standards for family homes.
If your bird appears to be ingesting paper when it chews on it, remove paper items from your bird’s environment.

i used to work for a newspaper company and one of the things we had to know in our orientation was the paper and ink quality. yeah, i know, weird since i didn't actually work w/quality control. i worked in customer service and collections. lol

anyway, the black n white sections (newsprint) is normally printed w/a soy ink, that's why it usually comes off on your hands. it's inexpensive and completely nontoxic, as well as washes off w/out staining your hands or clothing permanently unless you work w/it 8-12hrs a day. then it's a heck of a mess. the other pages w/colored print like the flyers...those are NOT printed w/soy ink. those are commercial grade dye and those are NOT nontoxic. that's why they do NOT come off on your hands. these cannot be ingested w/out ill effects over time.

newsprint can be used in cages w/out a grating, but the colored flyers should ONLY be used when you can guarantee that your pets cannot reach them to shred. the paper quality AND the ink quality is dangerously toxic to them if mouthed, licked, or chewed on over time.

maria

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back