Is biting normal?

BluckaBlucka

Jun 5, 2012
Parrots
Blucka- 1o yr old Blue and Gold Macaw
My B&G can be the sweetest bird sometimes, giving kisses and loving petting, then another time she will put a hole in you when you try to pick her up. Is this something that is normal Macaw behavior? Or is there some way I can teach her not to bite, even when she is moody? She doesn't let many people pet her, I am definitely her favorite. I should also add she is 10 years old.

A lot of Macaws are big on intimidation and like to put up a fuss when they don't want to do something, to include stepping up.

I have a 1 year old Macaw and she is just now starting to protest at times when she wants to and has tried to bite at me if I pick her up and she doesn't want to step up. If that happens I play the arm game, switching my arms from one side to another until she does it.

I have an OWA, not a Macaw but the first thing I would say is Respect her moods. If you can tell she's moody & doesn't want to step up or play, leave her alone. Parrots are very intelligent & have a lot of emotions just like people. I know all of Mr. Precious' moods & the surest way to get bitten is to ignore all the warning signs & try to demand he do what I want & not what he wants.

I agree with the above in some respects, but I also think some birds can take advantage of that and learn they don't 'have' to step up if they don't want to, or feel like it.. or they may just think it's fun to see you back away if they go to lung/bite (which is true for some Macaws)

I need to be able to pick up and move my birds one way or another when I need to, not when they want me to. Especially if its an emergancy.

Now I agree that if you know your bird is grumpy and just in a bad mood, don't play with it, give it some space because you will be bitten. But stepping up is a big thing for me at least, and I need mine to do it when I ask them to.

I donta have a Macaw, only a DYHA and I am never backing away if he tryes to bite. I have learnet to read him and know when the bite will come and acting fast, just taking his beak "hard". He is now thinking on how to be faster than me lol...

There are many reason why Macaws with either bluff or bite, Most times are due to hormones. I do not agree with some posts, it is very important for you to remain the Alfa in your relationship with your Macaw. Think of it this way, most macaws are like 4 year old children who test you every chance they get, it is completely up to you on how you respond, do you give into them and allow an action to happen, if so, you cannot blame the Macaw on an unwanted action, if you try your best to stay in control, most cases, you win and the Macaw soon learns just how far they can push you.
Biting should never be allowed or laugh when they try to bite you, this action needs to be taken at once, Macaws who bite need time outs just like children, I either return the Macaw to their cage for a 5 minute time out or until they have calm down, sometimes I cover their cage with a blanket for 5 min at a time.
Once they calm down and allow you to hold, pet, or have them step up, just like children in a candy isle, it's time to reward them and tell them how good they are to have stepped up, no bite, or allow you to pet them.
Another bit of advise here with Macaws who like to bite, have their favorite toy with you, if they try to bite you, allow them to bite the toy instead, this teaches the Macaw that it is just fine to bite the toy but no okay for them to bite you. Best of luck Joe

my new bird (patigonian conure) does that two, he doesnt like stepping up, hes still adjusting but its understandable. i take his favorite food, oatmeal, and hold it where he has to step up to get it, then reward him. good luck :)!

Thank you guys for all of the advice. Has anyone had a macaw who used to bite and who no longer does? She doesn't always bite, only when she wants to have her way. I have gotten many bites from her, but I never back away from that beak! I know if I am scared of her she will win and rule the roost! I will practice the time out, thank you JJones.

Just some advise for when she either acts as if she will bite you or just bluff. Tell her NO in a loud voice, If she does make contact and bites you, do not pull away, rather then press your hand towards her, this does two things, first it chokes her and she will let go, it also knocks them off balance and she will let go. Macaws do not like to fall so they will release you. If you pull away, you run the risk of being badly bitten and may require stitches.
Always make a fist and never allow your fingers to be easy available to them. make a fist and tuck in your thumb. Do not allow the Macaw onto your shoulder until you can completely trust them and form a very strong bond.
Getting a Macaw to see you as the alfa is not going to happen overnight rather then weeks, months, and sometimes years depending on the macaw but it will happen if you really work at it.
Rewarding Macaws seems to be the faster way to train and bond with them, so break out the almonds. Best of luck Joe

Just some advise for when she either acts as if she will bite you or just bluff. Tell her NO in a loud voice, If she does make contact and bites you, do not pull away, rather then press your hand towards her, this does two things, first it chokes her and she will let go, it also knocks them off balance and she will let go. Macaws do not like to fall so they will release you. If you pull away, you run the risk of being badly bitten and may require stitches.
Always make a fist and never allow your fingers to be easy available to them. make a fist and tuck in your thumb. Do not allow the Macaw onto your shoulder until you can completely trust them and form a very strong bond.
Getting a Macaw to see you as the alfa is not going to happen overnight rather then weeks, months, and sometimes years depending on the macaw but it will happen if you really work at it.
Rewarding Macaws seems to be the faster way to train and bond with them, so break out the almonds. Best of luck Joe

Our 2 Yr old B&G went through a stint of wanting/trying to bite . We worked with the vocal "no biting" and it is going well.

Mac will grab a finger, not biting and play a bit. He has nipped hard once or twice but it is a learning process.

The fist process works well. Mac thinks that's play time and jumps around trying to catch the fist <<GRIN>>!!

It is a situation that must be controlled. Mac can bust a brazil nut effortlessly so he could do a lot of damage if he really laid in to a person.

Thanks Joe. No i definitely do not allow her on my shoulder yet. I know she shouldn't be higher up then me. That you for the advice on the pushing not pulling, it is kind of instinctive to pull, but I will try to think about it next time. It is weird because the only time she bites is to step up, and not even always then. Once she is up and on me or I am petting her she is fine. Also she regurgitated on me the other night, although I was slightly flattered, I didn't know if it was a bad sign, like I am giving her the wrong signals.

My wife has read, possibly in a book on cockatoos, that parrots in the wild don't bite...

Ya, when my Sassy bites me, I walk her on a stick. That usually does the trick. She is a Amazon parrot and prone to have her moments. She has not bitten me for sometime. She has bitten others, but Amazons are known to only like a few people. In someways this is good, because no one would try stealing her knowing they are going to be bitten hard. She might change as she gets older, where she trust more people.Ya birds is the wild can simply fly away, but in captivity they generally have clipped wings and thus the only way to defend themselves is to bite.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back