Introducing and getting information all in one post.

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
Hi. I am considering adopting a parrot. I have always been interested in African Greys, and Cockatoos. I am still researching, and getting as much info as I need. About me, I am from NY, and have a toddler. If I got a parrot, the plan is to keep him in my room, which I share with my toddler. However, I have a room adjacent to my room, which may or may not be the parrots room. Currently my guinea pigs and my other pets sleep in there, mostly. My main questions/issues are regarding night time, and screaching. I know that is their nature to be vocal, and is to be expected, but in your opinion, do you think its a good idea to adopt one now, especially since my little one shares a room with me? The issue I have is the sleeping. I can bear the vocalness, but I have never been around a large bird in real life to experience their vocalness. I am sure they are much louder than parakeets, which I had years ago. I just don't want to get something that will keep my little one up. On the other hand I live by the train, which my little one has mostly gotten use to. I can deal with poo, and everything else that I am sure to learn about. I read that they do a ritual like scream, twice a day, in the morning when they rise and in the afternoon. I was curious to know if there was such a thing as fostering birds, the same way you can foster dogs, and cats that need home. Anywho, any advice for a person with a small child considering adopting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :blue1:

Welcome to the forum.Keep researching,it's good that you are doing this before you get a bird.Most parrots don't make much noise after going to bed.Most parrots don't want to be in a room by themselves and are happier being the center of attention.Lots of parrots don't really care for little people much,mostly because they (little people)are unpredictable,quick movements,tease pets ,those sort of things.Fostering is a very good way to see if a bird will fit into your lifestyle,many rescue/rehome organizations will help you with this and learning about taking care of a parrot.The key here is to shop around and meet as many birds and organizations as possible before getting a bird.Fostering is the way to go,if you decide it's a good match then adopt/buy.Don't rush out and get the first bird you meet.Good Luck hope i answered some of your questions.

Welcome to the forum.Keep researching,it's good that you are doing this before you get a bird.Most parrots don't make much noise after going to bed.Most parrots don't want to be in a room by themselves and are happier being the center of attention.Lots of parrots don't really care for little people much,mostly because they (little people)are unpredictable,quick movements,tease pets ,those sort of things.Fostering is a very good way to see if a bird will fit into your lifestyle,many rescue/rehome organizations will help you with this and learning about taking care of a parrot.The key here is to shop around and meet as many birds and organizations as possible before getting a bird.Fostering is the way to go,if you decide it's a good match then adopt/buy.Don't rush out and get the first bird you meet.Good Luck hope i answered some of your questions.

You have answered some. I am going to foster to adopt. Get the hang of it. Haven't found a place in NYC yet. A rescue will contact me, but shes in NJ, and she will answer more of my questions. I do know of one rescues that rescues dogs, cats, and exotics. They had some like four amazons on their site. I contacted them since the removed the pictures of them on their site. I don't plan on my little one playing with the bird. He's too rough, so I keep him away from mostly all of my animals, and watches him closely with the cat. What's the average cost of a used to new decent size cage?

Don't know about your area ,but i've bought several good amazon size cages in the 100 dollar range off of CriagsList.Let me know ,there's a rescue in Blairstown NJ,not sure of the name but i'm on another forum with her alot. Parrot Lovers Paradise she's vikki on there.I'm sure she could help you find other rescues in your area.

Don't know about your area ,but i've bought several good amazon size cages in the 100 dollar range off of CriagsList.Let me know ,there's a rescue in Blairstown NJ,not sure of the name but i'm on another forum with her alot. Parrot Lovers Paradise she's vikki on there.I'm sure she could help you find other rescues in your area.

I've seen about three on CL, two local. I just think that a person on CL might not be as forth coming to provide appropriate, detailed info.. Hmmm. Oh, and I was just thinking to myself I might not be able to get one, because I read that since they are sensitive with smells, i.e. perfumes, and burning oils, it won't work. My mom burns inscence and that is not going to stop and its strong. I too like to burn oils to get the house smelling good. *sad face*

Don't know about

Oh, and I was just thinking to myself I might not be able to get one, because I read that since they are sensitive with smells, i.e. perfumes, and burning oils, it won't work. My mom burns inscence and that is not going to stop and its strong. I too like to burn oils to get the house smelling good. *sad face*

ALL parrots are sensitive to smells, perfumes and esp. oils and inscence. You can't use any of those if you have any kind of parrot in the house - ever. You can't even use the glades plug ins or any kind of febreeze spray either. Also you cant cook with anything that is teflon coated if the bird is in the house, the fumes go into the air and its toxic. You also have to be very careful with what you use to clean your house, as most cleaners are toxic as well.

Also do you live in a house or an apartment? I only ask this because if you live in an apartment you might be able to get away with owning a grey, but you would never be able to have a larger cockatoo (larger meaning sulfers, umbrellas, or moluccans) in an apartment.

What in particular about greys or cockatoos draws you to them (and which kind of cockatoo in particular - they very greatly in temperament depending on type)? If your looking at a Goffins or a Bare eyed Cockatoo, I think that they make fabulous first time parrots. It really depends more on which one in particular you are looking at and why. I would never suggest an umbrella or moluccan cockatoo as a first parrot. They are extremely demanding and if their not happy then everyone in a mile radius will know. Its not that they don't make good birds but really go to several rescues and find out why they end up there so much, they are not for everyone and don't handle stress or change very well.

We really need to know more about your routine, how much time you have to devote to a bird, your living conditions (apt vs house), how many people live in your household (what they can tolerate as far as noise), your ability to change things in the house (i.e. no more candles, oils..etc), which type bird in particular (which type of Too) - in order to give you better advice. Birds also need 8-12 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night, this means that the bird needs to be in a quiet environment at night where it wont get woken up during its sleep. By getting a parrot you are essentially getting another child, that will live with you for the rest of your life.

Don't know about

We really need to know more about your routine, how much time you have to devote to a bird, your living conditions (apt vs house), how many people live in your household (what they can tolerate as far as noise), your ability to change things in the house (i.e. no more candles, oils..etc), which type bird in particular (which type of Too) - in order to give you better advice. Birds also need 8-12 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night, this means that the bird needs to be in a quiet environment at night where it wont get woken up during its sleep. By getting a parrot you are essentially getting another child, that will live with you for the rest of your life.

I live in a house. I live on the third floor. The Fourth floor including the basement. Well for now I am home mostly, but within a week or two I will be out from 7 am until 6pm. I wanted an umbrella cockatoo, or an african grey. I've just always fancied those. Maybe because I never knew about the others, and once something is in my head it it. I also read about the teflon so I know about that. I don't use that. I'm old fashion. The MAIN issue is going to be the burning oils or incense. My mom burns it it due to her faith, and that's not going to happen it stopping. Oh well :02:

I live in a house. I live on the third floor. The Fourth floor including the basement. Well for now I am home mostly, but within a week or two I will be out from 7 am until 6pm. I wanted an umbrella cockatoo, or an african grey. I've just always fancied those. Maybe because I never knew about the others, and once something is in my head it it. I also read about the teflon so I know about that. I don't use that. I'm old fashion. The MAIN issue is going to be the burning oils or incense. My mom burns it it due to her faith, and that's not going to happen it stopping. Oh well :02:

I'm not sure what the 'oh well' is for? By burning the oils and incenses your risking causing DEATH to a parrot. These are known toxicities, not because they make them sick but because they kill them (that is what we mean when we say something is toxic its known to cause death). With that work schedule you will not have enough time for an Umbrella, they require at a minimum of at least 3 hours of one on one attention a day. Birds rise when the sun does and most like to go to bed when it sets or they can get very grumpy. If your bird wants to go to bed at 8pm then its not getting near enough attention with your upcoming schedule (birds aren't a weekend thing they are an everyday thing). If an Umbrella isn't getting enough attention, it will scream all day (if the bird is in your house you will be able to hear this scream from inside your neighbors house) also Umbrellas are known to pluck out their feathers when they are unhappy as well. Make sure that the people living on all floors of the house can handle listing to a bird as the noise will not be contained to one floor and will be heard throughout the entire house.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting a parrot in general but parrots require a great deal of time (especially the umbrellas and moluccans) and you need to be prepared for what it takes to have one. A lot of times people get them and don't realize what their needs are and then they end up in rescues. I spend at least an hour a day preparing food and cleaning cages (I only own one bird). The I spend another 3 hours being around my bird, her just hanging out, training time and one on one cuddling time. Then she spends about an hour with other people in the household as she is very social. This is a total of 5 hours of my day devoted to one bird, every day - and this will be for the rest of my life. My bird is 16yrs old and will live somewhere between 60-80yrs old (probably outliving me). The larger cockatoos require this kind of time devotion in order to have their needs met. I'm not trying to offend you, I just want you to know what it takes to have a large Cockatoo (the rescues are absolutely full of Cockatoos because they are not easy parrots to have). I don't and have never owned a grey, so I'm not sure of their time demands (I hear from some people that they are more independent of the parrots but I really don't know first hand to give you advice on a grey). Life with parrots is fulfilling and completely rewarding but make sure that you can fully meet the demands of which ever particular bird you choose - as you are making a life long commitment when you get a parrot.

I'm not sure what the 'oh well' is for? By burning the oils and incenses your risking causing DEATH to a parrot. These are known toxicities, not because they make them sick but because they kill them (that is what we mean when we say something is toxic its known to cause death). With that work schedule you will not have enough time for an Umbrella, they require at a minimum of at least 3 hours of one on one attention a day. Birds rise when the sun does and most like to go to bed when it sets or they can get very grumpy. If your bird wants to go to bed at 8pm then its not getting near enough attention with your upcoming schedule (birds aren't a weekend thing they are an everyday thing). If an Umbrella isn't getting enough attention, it will scream all day (if the bird is in your house you will be able to hear this scream from inside your neighbors house) also Umbrellas are known to pluck out their feathers when they are unhappy as well. Make sure that the people living on all floors of the house can handle listing to a bird as the noise will not be contained to one floor and will be heard throughout the entire house.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting a parrot in general but parrots require a great deal of time (especially the umbrellas and moluccans) and you need to be prepared for what it takes to have one. A lot of times people get them and don't realize what their needs are and then they end up in rescues. I spend at least an hour a day preparing food and cleaning cages (I only own one bird). The I spend another 3 hours being around my bird, her just hanging out, training time and one on one cuddling time. Then she spends about an hour with other people in the household as she is very social. This is a total of 5 hours of my day devoted to one bird, every day - and this will be for the rest of my life. My bird is 16yrs old and will live somewhere between 60-80yrs old (probably outliving me). The larger cockatoos require this kind of time devotion in order to have their needs met. I'm not trying to offend you, I just want you to know what it takes to have a large Cockatoo (the rescues are absolutely full of Cockatoos because they are not easy parrots to have). I don't and have never owned a grey, so I'm not sure of their time demands (I hear from some people that they are more independent of the parrots but I really don't know first hand to give you advice on a grey). Life with parrots is fulfilling and completely rewarding but make sure that you can fully meet the demands of which ever particular bird you choose - as you are making a life long commitment when you get a parrot.

Oh well means I am not getting a parrot. If you read the previous comment, I stated that it wont work. Thanks for your info.

I read the previous post, just wasn't sure exactly what you were referring to. You would have to look into a way of being able to contain whats being burned so that the bird isn't exposed to it.

Where there is a will there is a way.

I read the previous post, just wasn't sure exactly what you were referring to. You would have to look into a way of being able to contain whats being burned so that the bird isn't exposed to it.

Where there is a will there is a way.

I will seriously think about it, because I do not want a stressed, sick. naked from plucking, or dead bird. Since I will be the only caretaker, the bird won't have someone to give it attention when I am at work. Keeping out the smell of incense seems hard. The only thing I could think of is some type of air purifier on, and to block the bottom of my door, but incense/oils is a long lingering odor, so even when I decide I need to leave my room, some fumes will get in. I really don't know, maybe someone can give me some ideas, as well as tell me about African Greys, since you said they are more independent than cockatoos. Another thing I also have a fireplace, and we burn logs, and I know that's another thing. Plenty of factors working against me.

I'm not trying to offend you or by any means tell you that you cant have a parrot. I'm just trying to educate you on what they require and make you aware that they are a serious life adjustment when you have one. Things that we do for years and cleaning products that we used to use all the time, suddenly have to be discarded. It would be sad for you and the bird, if you would have brought one home unknowing of potential hazards and lost the bird because you weren't aware of potentially toxic substances in the house. Its an un-necessary loss and one that no one should have to go through.

I'm not trying to offend you or by any means tell you that you cant have a parrot. I'm just trying to educate you on what they require and make you aware that they are a serious life adjustment when you have one. Things that we do for years and cleaning products that we used to use all the time, suddenly have to be discarded. It would be sad for you and the bird, if you would have brought one home unknowing of potential hazards and lost the bird because you weren't aware of potentially toxic substances in the house. Its an un-necessary loss and one that no one should have to go through.

I'm not offended. Before you told me about the cleaning products, oils, etc, I read about it on about.com. I spoke to someone from a rescue about two hours ago that told me about the scents, etc. I'm basing my decision on the needs of the bird. So it's cool. Info is always good.

Most Reactions

Back