independent Jenday conure issues.

murpyman

Jun 21, 2013
Hey all. I work away for a week on and off. Living in a granny flat we wanted a pet to keep my S/O company. Finding a local breeder we have our selves a 12 week old jenday conure. The bird seem to be extremely independent and overly obsessed with its cage. The bird is still on 2 feeds a day and slowly starting to eat a seed/fruit mixture. Besides feeding times it almost wants nothing to do with us. It will climb on your hand slowly and sit on your shoulder for no longer then 2 minutes before flying ( half wing clipped ) back to its cage this process will reapeat over again we tryed moving the cage out of the room, then it will just fly to the top of the curtain rod. we also have a little jungle gym which it will waddle around on play with its ball with the bell in the middle but still no human contact. My S/O is just extremely diheartened as she really wanted a compaion parrot who would show cuddles and kisses, what we were told and read so much about, but this bird just seems to want to be its own bird and have nothing to do with us, im wondering is this just how it will be from here on in, or can we train it to be more affectionate.

Attachments

• DSC_2894.jpg
    DSC_2894.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:
Curious to know, why did you two purchase an unweaned chick? Buying an unweaned bird does not guarantee a stronger bond between you and the bird.

Have the two of you ever considered training? Birds are highly intelligent creatures, so although you may enjoy having a bird sit on your shoulder throughout the day as you go about your daily lives, your bird may find this extremely boring. Training him/her can be a great way to stimulate your birds mind while at the same time to start forming a bond! You can start with simple behaviors such as turn around, come here, fly to the cage (which, btw, I don't agree with an unweaned bird being clipped - did the breeder do that?), pick an item up and drop it into a container, etc.

That's how the breeder sold the chick to us.

We both understand how highly intelligent these bird are and training is definitely on the agenda. The breeder did sell it with the clipped wing yes. Also talked to another Bird lover/owner at pet shop she advised that we are spoiling the bird to much with to many toys and to take the toys out while were home and put them in when we are out. We noticed 110% attitude change in the bird, a lot more affectionate and playful.

Well, what's done is done. I don't agree with what the breeder did, but I can't change it, either.

Don't really understand why removing toys 'helps', but I still suggest working on training!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back