Ideal first parrot?

Galaxy88

Oct 17, 2024
Parrots
none yet!
Hello everyone

I've recently fallen in love with parrots, and while doing my research I heard a lot of conflicting things about what a good "starter" parrot would be. I know there is no such thing as an "easy" bird and every parrot is by definition high maintenance, but as far as I can tell there definitely are different degrees of difficulty.

Personally I would love to get a big bird, preferably an Eclectus, but most I hear they have very difficult dietary needs. Is it smarter to start with another bird? What would you guys recommend? I have never had a bird before (except for chickens), so that's maybe another thing to keep in mind.

Hello everyone

I've recently fallen in love with parrots, and while doing my research I heard a lot of conflicting things about what a good "starter" parrot would be. I know there is no such thing as an "easy" bird and every parrot is by definition high maintenance, but as far as I can tell there definitely are different degrees of difficulty.

Personally I would love to get a big bird, preferably an Eclectus, but most I hear they have very difficult dietary needs. Is it smarter to start with another bird? What would you guys recommend? I have never had a bird before (except for chickens), so that's maybe another thing to keep in mind.
I've had many birds in the past. I love the larger birds, but they are like children. Not in a bad way, but it's like taking care of a mini human. Parakeets? meh cockatiels? Mmmm maybe. Not to say I didn't like them, bonding with them was weird. I can't explain. They were good birds. Cockatoos (ok, I love them, but it's like I had a 3rd child). African greys are supposedly decent to start with from what I'm told.

I had a quaker (monk), he was a pain in the ***. Trainable, yes. Talk? Yes (a little). Loves people, but moody. Someone would walk in the room and he'd bite me. However, it should be mentioned he was abused before I got him. My dad ... Whole other story there would hit the cage, yell for him to shut the **** you piece of.... Well you get the idea. I told him I'd take the bird. I loved the bird for sure. I'm just saying it took great effort some days to smile through the biting. So that's not a fair review. Not the bird's fault. He had trauma. That was 30 years ago. Still... I loved that bird.

I went with a conure. Easy to take care of, trainable, can talk, but not usually. They will try and they definitely mimic whistling.
The diet is fairly easy. Clean up is easy. Huge personalities and they like to entertain (playing, rolling on their back). They are nibblers though. I don't mean biting. If they do bite, it can be trained no to do it.

I'm gonna be honest, I have a conure. He's amazing. I never had one, but when I saw him, he came bounding over and rolled around on his back wanting to play. So... He came home with me. I'm biased. Yes it's like having a child, but the needs are less exhausting. Again. Im biased. lol honestly get what you want. You sound like an animal lover and you'd take care of any bird you picked. These are just my thoughts. I loved all my feathered kids.

@Galaxy88, a little more about your living conditions will help us suggest a species. Work full time, house or apt., who else is there, time you can spend with the parrot. That kind of stuff. Some species are pretty forgiving in some areas, others not so much.

Hello everyone

LizardSith post your best info. Not so much about all the other birds but the fact that she let the bird pick her. When that conure went to her is the sign you should look for. Regardless of what specis you decide on ,, go for the bird that picks you. The more they love you, the more you love them. Good luck , imo , amazons rule.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back