I got bit by the bug

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
So I went to the bird fair to get Parker and Charlie some new toys and things and I meet the most wonderful little blue capped conure....was wondering if anyone on here has one and how are they...temperament and such
Thanks...
I didn't bring her home but I did seriously consider it....I have been thinking about a green check but I like the size of the blue cap better...

Do you mean Blue Crowned Conure?

Paulie (1998) - IMDb

Never had one, but they sure are charming conures!!! It's actually one of the first conure species I fell for, since I love the color blue! But I ended up with a cherry head instead! ;)

They have really cute voices, but they can be loud! Potentially louder than an amazon! They can also be goofy, clownish and cuddly birds!

I fell for the Blue Crowned Conure when I watched Paulie when it first came out....I love love love that movie.... :)

LOL...I remember when Paulie came out I had my Noble macaw Mihijo. People would think he was a BCC and everyone loved Mihijo.

I have considered a BCC as well but what stopped me was that they can be loud parrots. What did I do..I got a RFM which is WAY louder than any BCC.

I see you have two amazons and I am not verse on Amazons....yet (Will be getting a Panama next year) Why not talk to people that have the BCC and go to youtube and watch videos of them. Maybe that will help with your want of one. They are hard to resist. I know from experience.

Noblemacaw, that's funny because i had Gilbert at the Central Jersey Jazz Festival this weekend and i heard someone coming up behind me saying "is that a hahns??!" and i turned around and they realized he wasn't when they saw his face. On first glance you can mistake a BCC for a hahns or noble. They are ALL so darn cute.

Gilbert isn't loud, but that's coming from someone who lived for years with a sun conure.....and she rarely bothered me. So maybe BCCs are loud but i think of him as so quiet and gentle. He is vocal and chatters all the time but rarely squawks. I can hear him talking from outside though. (He hears me out with the dogs and when i call them i hear Gilbert saying "GOOD BOY" from inside.)
BTW BFAs are one of my long time "dream birds". I just love them.

yes that is what I was talking about...they one I met was just so darn cute...but the hubby says no more birds...I'll just have to keep working on him...lol...Besides I haven't been able to find any good breeders around and I have enough on my plate with my rescue Charlie to be able to take on another rescue( unknown ) history bird right now...

My fids are pretty awesome most of the time...I really love the amazons... but they sure can be a handful at times...

My old girl Tootsie is a noisy and loud blue crown. She has always been very vocal and reactive. In comparison, Rosco is much quieter. He only accounts for about 1/3 of the total noise between them. However, he causes at least half of Tootsie's noise because he is an agitator. Like a little kid that keeps tugging on his sister's hair just to get her angry. Between the two of them the noise can get on the nerves at times.

Currently they are on their play pen doing some quiet mutual preening but evening is approaching and it won't be long before Rosco tugs on her feathers and she goes off. He always gets very stirred up when it gets close to bed time. It is when he makes most of his noise.

Conures - pretty much all of them - personality wise, are basically shrunken macaws. Pair bond birds, very playful, very sociable, tend to be on the loud side... though less so with blue crowns than say suns, or jendays, or nandays...

Not the best talkers but they do tend to have a limited vocabulary, excellent trick birds. One of the best trick birds out there as a matter of fact... (Trick training is playtime for a conure!)

Birdman, are they really like shrunken Macaws? That's interesting. I have a Sun and GCC. The Sun doesn't talk but Trixie says, "Trixie," "pretty bird", "Brandon", "Becca", "what," "my baby," "Phoebe," "monkey" and "I love you". They are definitely loud parrots but in all fairness, we encourage their noise, lol. ;)

Last edited:
Conures are essentially considered miniature macaws. Blue crown conures are pretty similar in colorations to hahns, nobles and blue headed macaws. Some think that sun conures have similar colorations to scarlet macaws. Thick billed conures, slender billed conures and maroon fronted parrots have similar colorations to red fronted macaws. Some of the other mini macaws share some similar traits to large and small conures... from colored stomachs to blue flights and tail feathers to head coloration.

That said, it may not mean all that much since it could just be something like convergent evolution... having similar traits without being related. Bats and birds with their ability for flight is a great example for this. Red fronted kakarikis, rose crowned conures and red fronted macaws all have similar head colorations and blue flights. Tail and body colors on the other hand differ between the species.

Most Reactions

Back