I can't find this book anywhere!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My friends have this awesome parrot book that came out in the 70's called Parrots of the world, unfortunately they put it in storage and I really wanted my own copy if I can find it affordable anywhere. I read it like 3 years ago. While reading it I noticed it was extremely out of date but I enjoy reading out of date things(gives a perspective of how people though) but this book had very off information. One thing was that at the time the book came out the majority of people didn't think parrots should have water, but rather bread soaked in water or milk. I read the date of when it was originally published and found out it was written in the late 1800's. It's kinda like reading a journal, the guy talks about his experiences with parrots. I remember he said that he didn't like galahs because his male killed his female in the aviary, and that while he was in Africa he was so excited to see the African grays he "couldn't help but shot one". He also knew a African gray with a extensive vocabulary that belonged to a family, and that he wouldn't let his hyacinth macaw out to fly in the yard because he feared what damage that huge beak would do.

It's really hard to find the book because I don't know the name of the author, and whenever I search parrots of the world the only thing I find is the book by Forshaw that I already own. It's possible I might have the name off, but even when I just search for old parrot books nothing that looks familiar comes up.

I'm crossing my fingers that someone here knows what book I'm looking for.

My friends have this awesome parrot book that came out in the 70's called Parrots of the world, unfortunately they put it in storage and I really wanted my own copy if I can find it affordable anywhere. I read it like 3 years ago. While reading it I noticed it was extremely out of date but I enjoy reading out of date things(gives a perspective of how people though) but this book had very off information. One thing was that at the time the book came out the majority of people didn't think parrots should have water, but rather bread soaked in water or milk. I read the date of when it was originally published and found out it was written in the late 1800's. It's kinda like reading a journal, the guy talks about his experiences with parrots. I remember he said that he didn't like galahs because his male killed his female in the aviary, and that while he was in Africa he was so excited to see the African grays he "couldn't help but shot one". He also knew a African gray with a extensive vocabulary that belonged to a family, and that he wouldn't let his hyacinth macaw out to fly in the yard because he feared what damage that huge beak would do.

It's really hard to find the book because I don't know the name of the author, and whenever I search parrots of the world the only thing I find is the book by Forshaw that I already own. It's possible I might have the name off, but even when I just search for old parrot books nothing that looks familiar comes up.

I'm crossing my fingers that someone here knows what book I'm looking for.

He was so excited to see African greys that he shot one....okay....that's a bit weird, lol :D

But sorry, I have never heard of the book, so I can't help you much.

Here you go
I have attached the link where you are able to purchase the book

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Parrots-World-Joseph-Forshaw/dp/0876669593]Parrots of the World: Joseph Forshaw, William T. Cooper, Dean Amadon: 0018214699538: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

He was so excited to see African greys that he shot one....okay....that's a bit weird, lol :D

But sorry, I have never heard of the book, so I can't help you much.
It was weird! At first I was very angry at the author when I read that part, but I had to let it go because times were so different then. If he liked the bird he should have captured it and brought it back home, or even better simply admired how beautiful it was flying in a flock. This guy cared for his birds to a extent though, and took better care of his own than most people. Maybe after the book came out people/zoos would realize they should give there poor birds water :(

Here you go
I have attached the link where you are able to purchase the book

Parrots of the World: Joseph Forshaw, William T. Cooper, Dean Amadon: 0018214699538: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks, but unfortunately it's not the same book. I do own that book and really like it though. The book I'm looking for was first published in the late 1800's then republished in the 70's.

Last edited:
I love old animal books!! Its like stepping back in time. They had also seen things we havent had the pleasure of seeing... birds now extinct and animals that are now rare in large numbers. I am jealous of the freedom they used to have.

The only book I could find that was originally published in the 1800's and republished in 1970s was "Parrots in captivity"
greene - parrots in captivity - AbeBooks

Another book published in the 1800's was "The speaking parrots: a scientific manual"
karl russ - speaking parrots - Used Books - AbeBooks

Edward Lear also published a couple of books in the 1800's which have been republished a few times since. "Edward Lear's Parrots" and "The family of parrots" by edward lear.

I am dying for someone to find the version you mention though! All I could find was the one Antoinette linked.

Wish I could help you find it! Once at work I found this super dated book that had been on the shelves back in the 80s! Even then the information would make us want to shake our heads, even though we understand that knowledge is a constant process! I remember reading how sunflower seeds should be the staple food and an indepth explanation on how to cut feathers on only one wing, etc!

As I did state, "we understand that knowledge is a constant process" if further clarification is required, I can also say that we learn by trial and error and maturation of the birds.

I love old animal books!! Its like stepping back in time. They had also seen things we havent had the pleasure of seeing... birds now extinct and animals that are now rare in large numbers. I am jealous of the freedom they used to have.

The only book I could find that was originally published in the 1800's and republished in 1970s was "Parrots in captivity"
greene - parrots in captivity - AbeBooks

Another book published in the 1800's was "The speaking parrots: a scientific manual"
karl russ - speaking parrots - Used Books - AbeBooks

Edward Lear also published a couple of books in the 1800's which have been republished a few times since. "Edward Lear's Parrots" and "The family of parrots" by edward lear.

I am dying for someone to find the version you mention though! All I could find was the one Antoinette linked.
Awesome! It's the book parrots in captivity! Thank you so much! :D

HOLY CRAP! Did you see the prices for those old books? I about fell out of my chair. I could get my Golden Conure and a really nice stainless steel cage for the price of those books.

"Parrots in Captivity" looks like an interesting read though.

HOLY CRAP! Did you see the prices for those old books? I about fell out of my chair. I could get my Golden Conure and a really nice stainless steel cage for the price of those books.

It's a very old book, and it isn't common so the older books cost a lot. Not all old books are expensive. I bought my step dad a book about evolution from the 1870's for $10 off of Etsy. Seriously though, who on earth can pass up a book about evolution when so little was known about it at the time it was written lol XD. I found a place that prints the book by demand for $32. here's the link if anyone wants it. I love this book because it takes you back in time, and rather then be just a information book it is written by one person who includes a lot of his own experiences with different species of parrots :)

I'm so happy I finally have a way to get it, I'm book marking the page until I can buy it :D

Last edited:
Thats awesome :D I was hoping I wasn't being a useless d**k by posting related books that werent the one. LOL I guess you never know.

You sparked my curiosity however and now I'm probably going to be purchasing a few old bird books as well! My partner "thanks" you LOL

Thats awesome :D I was hoping I wasn't being a useless d**k by posting related books that werent the one. LOL I guess you never know.

You sparked my curiosity however and now I'm probably going to be purchasing a few old bird books as well! My partner "thanks" you LOL
Just show him show much you saved compared to the older versions LOL If you end up getting parrots in captivity let me know how you like it :)

And a bird room addition on your house as well!

Most Reactions

Back