Hyperthyroidism in my cat.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
My eldest fur-baby, Jessie, a 13 year old short-haired tortoise shell cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last August (9 months ago). She was previously living with my mom, who noticed she was losing weight at a rapid pace- she did not have worms, fleas, or anything else that could've been the culprit, and has always been a healthy little fur monster. So, she went to the vet, and we found out that she has hyperthyroidism which is typical for cats her age.

Hyperthyroidism is a result of the thyroid glands (located in the neck) becoming enlarged, like a benign tumor, causing too much thyroid hormone to be released. In turn, this speeds up the cat's metabolism which causes weight loss, eating and drinking more (to compensate for the body burning calories too fast), diarrhea, and can cause hypertension and kidney issues.

Her initial test in August was 8.3 😱😱😱 (normal being 1-4, so it was obviously WAY too high) she was immediately put on Methimazole 5mg per day, indefinitely.

In September she was re-tested, her levels were at 3.7....although she was now in the "normal" range, it was still a bit high even though it was a significant decrease in her thyroid levels. Things were looking up!

Today she had another check-up and her blood tested again. The vet said overall she looks really good- no fleas, ears and mouth look good except she needs a good teeth cleaning. The vet said her levels are now at 2.4!!!!! 🙌🙌🙌 we'll continue the Methimazole to keep her thyroid under control, but I'm so happy things turned out for the better...

Had she not been diagnosed, she would've continued to waste away and eventually suffer from congestive heart failure. A horrible fate for something that can be relatively easily managed or dealt with. This is why it's so important that when we notice something wrong or different with one of our companions, that we listen to our instincts and get them medical attention ASAP.

Last edited:
These are recent pictures of her, and she looks SO much better now than she did in August. Now I just need to work on fattening her back up [emoji4]

Oh Shirre, I am so glad you got the results back and that she is doing so well! Those numbers are fantastic compared to where she was before! And man, she is so tiny and beautiful:)
Great post!

Oh Shirre, I am so glad you got the results back and that she is doing so well! Those numbers are fantastic compared to where she was before! And man, she is so tiny and beautiful:)
Great post!

I was thrilled to hear that 2.4! It's SO scary when they get so sick like that!! :( I feel so thankful she was able to bounce back from it!

I am so happy for you...now you can just enjoy having her back home with you:) Did she enjoy her extra feeding?

My cat's got the same thing! He has done really well on his tablets, although I'm having some new blood tests because I think he's lost a bit of condition lately.

My vet picked it straight away, the blood test showed it and the medication prescribed. I just hope he continues to stay well, and hope Jessie does, too.

Thanks Joe and Strudel!

She weighs a whopping 7.5 lbs right now, so I'm hoping the extra serving of pâté will help put some weight back on her.

I grind up half a pill super fine and mix it with her pâté for breakfast and dinner, and now an extra serving at lunch (med free) with access to hard food all day.

She acts completely normal now, but when she was sick it was scary- very lethargic, very skinny....

I was so glad when Tiger was diagnosed and "fixed". I thought he had cancer and was going to die.... It was like a miracle "cure".

Shirre, I'm so glad the recent test came back with even better numbers! Yay! That's great news that she was diagnosed and treated in time, and now is living a good life once again managed with meds. :)

Most Reactions

Back