How much chop is too much?

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Tusli= Black-Capped Conure x1
Hey gang- the girls (Tulsi and Mango- blk capped conure and cinnamon GCC) seem to only want their chop lately. We give them fresh veggie & grains chop, small amount of fruit and not even daily, a nut and small amount of seeds daily. We’ve given them pellets in the evening (chop in the morning, pellets in the evening) and lately they just want their chop. They’ll eat the nut, seeds and fruit. But really want no pellets at all at this point. Is that okay? I weigh them daily and there’s not weight loss, no stress issues, appearance changes etc.
Is there any need to be concerned about that, will they get the vitamins etc from chop??

Attachments

• IMG_9195.jpeg
    IMG_9195.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8704.jpeg
    IMG_8704.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 5
Personally I prefer chop to pellets. It's not processed and you know exactly what's going into it. I don't think there is a too much chop as long as it's well rounded. I've for the most part cut pellets out of my eclectus's diet and I've seen a good bit of improvement in his health and appearance. My gcc and cockatiel are still on pellets since they're pickier about what they'll eat and won't touched dried fruits/veggies

Personally I prefer chop to pellets. It's not processed and you know exactly what's going into it. I don't think there is a too much chop as long as it's well rounded. I've for the most part cut pellets out of my eclectus's diet and I've seen a good bit of improvement in his health and appearance. My gcc and cockatiel are still on pellets since they're pickier about what they'll eat and won't touched dried fruits/veggies
Oh the girls love dried veggies (even kale! 🧐) and fruit so I add that on top of their chop most days. Good to know. Thank you!

IMHO, the point in which a Parrot is eating to much Chop would be clearly seen when their stool becomes watery! Now, watery stool can be caused by illnesses, but with it being diet based, you should see a slow transition compared to a sudden onset.

NOTE: The use of pellets is a Hot Button discussion, seek multiple sources for comparison!

I view pellets differently today than I did a decade and a half ago. Today, I view pellets as an excellent supplement as the diet you are providing appears to be a solid base. You likely noted that I use the term appears as what is provided should have some connection with your species native range.

As an example, our home is owned and ruled by our Double-Yellow Headed Amazon. As a result, with chop as a base, we work at targeting a diet that is a mix of seeds, grains, 'tree based' nuts, etc., which, are common in Central and South America, which is fairly commonly found in North America.

I hope this answers your question.

Well, it sounds to me like the girls are going to be fine. They do get a mix of tree nuts, seeds, grain, their veggie chop (dried and fresh) some fruit (dried or fresh)but not too much- and I did sprinkle a small amount of ground TOPS pellets on their feed yesterday and they ate it. We’re keenly aware of their feathers, eyes, stool, body language and so on….soooooo we’ll just keep it moving and not worry unless we note something changes. :) Thank you everyone! 🦜 🙏🏻

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back