How long to wait before trying to pet and hold conure

Sinfairy89

Apr 10, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I just got it Saturday was wondering when and how to start holding and hand training

I just got it Saturday was wondering when and how to start holding and hand training
Oooh good question.
The honest answer is... it depends on the individual bird.
Some birds may be hand raised or have had quite a history with positive human interaction experiences and naturally will be okay with anyone holding or touching them.
Then there are about 90 percent of other parrots that are timid and scared of new experiences. If there’s a new face to it, they probably are going to get away from it!
But trust building and taming these scared birds is a whole process on its own!
You want to go at the pace of the bird.
Just take things slow. Involve lots of yummy treats during the whole process and pay attention to key signals of any sort of discomfort or signs that say “hey it’s time to back up, I’m not ready yet” that sort of thing.
And even though conures are very clownish birds and some parrots don’t mind being held, there is a specific way to hold a bird that doesn’t restrict their breathing since they are very sensitive. So be careful with that, but even without this fact, many birds usually don’t like to be grasped in any way.
But all the scritches and pets welcome! And lots of it!
Other than all that, have fun in the process! :)

Oooh good question.
Some birds may be hand raised or have had quite a history with positive human interaction experiences and naturally will be okay with anyone holding or touching them.
Then there are about 90 percent of other parrots that are timid and scared of new experiences. If there’s a new face to it, they probably are going to get away from it!
Just take things slow. Involve lots of yummy treats during the whole process and pay attention to key signals of any sort of discomfort or signs that say “hey it’s time to back up, I’m not ready yet” that sort of thing.
And even though conures are very clownish birds and some parrots don’t mind being held, there is a specific way to hold a bird that doesn’t restrict their breathing since they are very sensitive. So be careful with that, but even without this fact, many birds usually don’t like to be grasped in any way.
Thank you , it will come up to me sometimes when I sm by the cage and when I talk it will sometimes make a cheep back. Just when hand comes anywhere near the cage it will walk away scared even when I just change its food out lol I want to do everything correctly

This is a tricky question but some more information about your conure might help.
But as an example. In my case I've had my conure for almost 1 month, she is an adult I I don't know much about her past. We are training to get her to step onto my hand. But I have not held her

Oooh good question.
Question if I play conure sounds and he talks back to the sounds and runs around cage talking is that good? And will he associate the noises with me?

Question if I play conure sounds and he talks back to the sounds and runs around cage talking is that good? And will he associate the noises with me?
I think if you do that then either he will enjoy it and display those signs that he is in fact liking it. But pacing around the cage and screaming back are ALSO signs of stress sometimes so not too sure. Some birds kind of expect another bird in the room and are trying to find the source of the sound otherwise if they are detecting the noise and cannot find where it's coming from, I think they will just get a bit stressed about it at first but when hearing it enough, they will eventually stop interacting with the sounds in general.
That's because they're really smart creatures, they can catch on to things.
For your second question, your conure may not associate you with the conure sounds because your bird may realize it's not really coming from you.
Just a little thought I had.

I gave Maddox a good three days before I started working with him. The important thing to remember is that its cage is a safe space so before doing anything make sure it is comfortable in its cage. It is also important to spend as much time around his cage as possible, talking, reading, and even singing to a new conure is key in getting him familiar with you. The next step I took was just placing my hand in his cage just to see how he reacted. Once he stopped running away from me, I got him to eat out of my hand and once he associated me with food, he was stepping up on my finger within the week. The key is to have patients and work at the bird's pace. It could take a couple of weeks or a few months. Good luck and please reach out if you have any more questions!

Alwys keep in mind that parrot acceptance of new things is often GLACIAL when compared to our quick monkey brains. Proceed based on his pace and not the pace of your expectations. As has been said, lots of his favorite treats plays a key part. Ifhe freaks when you gt close to the cage, note the distance from the cage where this happens. Place a chair just a bit more away from the cage. Read to him, anything, in a soft and soothing voice ( reading the I Love Amazons thread in the Amazon subforum is a great thing to read - most of it applied to all parrots). THen, the next day move the chair just a little bit closer and repeat. Keep doing that every day, getting closer and closer. When your next to the cage now start offering the treat from your hand thru the bars - same technique though. If he freaks back up and move progressively closer. Desensitizing parrots to things is very often not a sprint its a marathon, slow and steady wins the race!

Most Reactions

Back