How do you check your bird for general well being?

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I always feel his keel bone and check his crop for fullness to make sure he's eating. He HATES when I touch him there, but I guess it makes me feel better to know he's eating what I give him, and he's a good weight. I also regularly check his nares to make sure they're clear.

Does anyone else do that?

What else do you check on his/her body to make sure they're happy and healthy?

You could weigh him regularly to check his weight. :)

I check droppings, activity levels, weight, nares, feet, how they sleep, how much they play/talk, and how they preen. :)

I weigh Rosie with a gram scale for weight and keep it written down, I feel her breast muscles. I examine droppings daily for any weirdness, and their behavior.

With Kenji I look at him closely, examining his eyes and nostrils. I can kinda see his chest shape since he's not as fluffy as Rosie. Make sure he's eating his food, acting normal, and examine his droppings. I wish I could weigh Kenji, but I can barely handle him so that's not going I happen right now.

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot, I look at his droppings too, and I make sure he's doing enough of them.

Wow, I guess I'm missing some things :( I am a manic pooper-checker but I don't check weight or nares. I do notice his feet a lot because he's always got them up in the air somehow, hanging from something or other. But I'd only notice a raw patch or redness - is there something else I should be checking for?
I KNOW he eats enough because I can see him eating and he usually polishes off his food and there is only hulls and skins lying in the bottom of the cage.
What should I check with regard to nares?
I can't imagine him ever sitting still enough to weigh ;)

With nares, I just make sure they're clean, and not puffy and/or discolored.

I can't weigh mine for that reason either, but they do make parrot scales with perches on them.

I also look at feather conditioning.

Honestly, I stopped doing that stuff a long time ago.

I've never had a problem with my birds not eating... with some of them, I have the opposite problem.

I am pretty much in tune with their personalities. If something is off, then I immediately start paying attention.

They've all been well birdied, so we have an established baseline...

I have a gram scale, and I used to weigh them. Not so much anymore.

Honestly, I stopped doing that stuff a long time ago.

I've never had a problem with my birds not eating... with some of them, I have the opposite problem.

I am pretty much in tune with their personalities. If something is off, then I immediately start paying attention.

They've all been well birdied, so we have an established baseline...

I have a gram scale, and I used to weigh them. Not so much anymore.

Cockatiels can be really picky eaters, so that's why I check so much. If I had a Macaw or an Eclectus, or some other bird that loved to eat, than I probably wouldn't check as much. It's just amazing how he pecks at little tiny bits of food, and I always wonder, "what is he ingesting???" I guess he must be since I feel a full crop, in particular at morning and at night.

Well the macaws LIKE to eat, but they like attention more.

AMAZONS on the other hand... My 40 year old lilac crowned especially.

Feed a measured amount, and check the papers to see if it's been eaten or flung...

Most Reactions

Back