Frostypenguin

Aug 15, 2024
I am a junior in high school and I just recently adopted a baby Senegal parrot. I go to school at 7am and I get home from school around 3:30-5pm depending on the day. When I am older I’m planning on taking this Senegal to college and then living with him when I have a job. I plan on becoming a chemist or an analytical chemist. Will I have enough time for a Senegal parrot in the future, and what are some ways to help if I don’t?

TLDR: I’m worried that I won’t have enough time to spend with my Senegal parrot because I want to become an analytical chemist in the future (full time job). Are there any suggestions as to what I can do about this.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh... an excuse to tell the Rickeybird's story again...
For what it's worth...

I got the Rickeybird in 1984. When I walked into a bird store in New Mexico 33 years ago, the Rickeybird (a 3-month-old chick) flapped and flew and scrambled into my arms, turned on his back, and grabbed my fingers with his feet. He seemed glued to me. It was a perfect storm of my impulsiveness, his instant adoration, and the fact that I had just gotten paid by my college work-study job... I took him home. Using his band, I traced his breeder. We exchanged photos and letters (this was pre-'net, y'all!)... and she could have been my sister! We were both tall, thin, with long red hair and Poindexter glasses, long faces and big toothy smiles. The Rb thought his mommy (or close enough) had walked in to rescue him. And that was that.
I kept him pretty well socialized until we moved up North to Ohio... then, one thing led to another, and I failed him, really. He is now a one-person bird, sadly. In my defense, since he became a rooster at about 4 years of age, he really has been a little Genghis Khan. Genghis Conure, my vet calls him.

I was in college when I got him, and then grad school, so I spent LOTS of time with him. Then it was time for internship and then work!
There were years (about 25 of them) when 6-7 days a week, I was gone at dawn and back at night.
Some did and will consider me wrong and think I should have re-homed him.
Anyway, here is what I think made it work.
I moved and got new jobs maybe 5 times or so. BUT...
Every morning, he had at least ten minutes, and every evening, he had 20 or so. I have always kept him on a natural light schedule, in a separate room, so sometimes those times together were in the dark. During the day, he had a big window looking out on something interesting, a television on one of his favorite channels (music channels, news shows - he loves talking heads), a biggg cage, lots of fun foods, and great toys that I changed out regularly).
He KNEW he could count on those two crumby sessions a day. Somehow we both made it.
I'm now retired and times are pretty good again. But when I first retired, he was standoffish and aggressive, at times, and not nearly as affectionate and cuddly as he was 30 years ago. Of course, he became a rooster at about 4-5.
He is famous (infamous?) for his quirks, weirdness, and overall trouble-maker-ness. I take responsibility. Today he is flighted, fearless, spoiled, and adored. We worked it out. I spend most of the day with his bad self now, and I know we are back in love. I guess my motto is... don't give up, do your best, and don't be unhappy with the results. Love your bird and yourself for what you are, separately and together.
Good luck to you.

Frosty, while Gale's story is true and encouraging, going forward will embark you on the singular most difficult path to successful (for you AND the parrot) life. Aside from schooling, which you have hopefully 5 or more years of, there is friends, afterschool activities, relationships, and jobs - all take time away from your parrot, who is already alone for the big part of the day. When you leave home, there is lodging to consider too. Landlords and roomates can be very funny about parrots. COnsider costs too - parrots are not a cheap pet to have and care for. Toys and food, vet bills all add up! I spend about $200 a month on food and toys for my parrot and he is not particularly destructive. SO my advice is to wait til college is done and you have a career started, and some long term stability in your life. Harsh maybe but better for and the parrot.

Most Reactions

Back