help!!! Me tame my green cheek conure I made a terrible mistake :(

crossru

Oct 26, 2013
I brought in my new bird yesterday he seemed okay but he is not tame. He was slightly curious about me but then he accidentally flew out of his cage so I slowly chased him around with a towel but then he went underneath the bed and it was really hard to catch him. I finally put him back in but now when I'm close he moves away and before the incident he wasn't that scared of me and wouldn't move away.
Talk about the worst way to start a new relationship :( ................

Also he keeps on making like a tiny noise non stop unless he's sleeping. he also puts his beak and rubs it on the branch. What do these mean? Also could you give me other bird language tips so I can understand him better so that he doesn't attack me or something and when can I tell he's happy. I can't find any examples of gc conure noises on the internet .I really don't understand the sounds unless I could hear it myself.

He will get over it.

You need to get this bird clipped.

Then start the basic taming and training program. Start with step up practice and hand feeding treats to get him used to hands and fingers. Gradually work your way up to head scratches.

I second the recommendation of getting his wings clipped. You can let them grow back after he is tame and bonded to you.

GCC's make little noises then they are curious or contented ... mine makes what sounds sort of like a clucking sound. She often rubs her bill on her perches to wipe her mouth when she's done eating. GCC's often make a beak grinding noise when they are relaxing and sitting still.

Hi the lady I bought it from said she clipped it and I can see that but clearly he can still fly. So I've booked an appointment for him to see a vet for checkup and clipping of wings. But how would I go with putting him in the carrying cage do I just grab him with a towel or what? Also once he starts eating food out of my hand how would I get him to step up and teach him.

How long do you think it takes to tame my conure?
Thanks for your help:D

I've usually gotten them to step up in a day, and I don't use food in my hand. I just press my finger against the bird's abdomen, which forces it to step up or fall off the perch. If you do that, you have to move firmly and confidently, or he might bite you. Once you get your finger under there he won't be able to bite. If you're really worried about being bitten, then it might be easier to use the food-bribery method, although I think that might take longer. Others on here know how to do it with food. Either way, you'll probably want the wings clipped first. If you need a towel to put him in the carrier, then use it.

Your conure is prey. You are a predator. You have just instilled the fear into your bird that you will hunt him down and quite possibly eat him. It's a very scary experience.

Now you may have clipped his feathers, so he's unable to escape that which he is afraid of. You.

Would be akin to your arms and legs being in chains and then a tiger making you hold still each time you tried to escape.

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

I am a new parront but imo the most important thing I've learned about building a relationship with your parrot is to take it slow. Let your parrot guide you on what he finds comfortable and don't force him to do anything. Any force or frightning action takes you back a whole bunch of steps. There is no such thing as a quick fix with parrots ;)
Go slow and take your time, he'll come around eventually. Good luck!

Keep looking for information on parrot body language. Slightly puffed up feathers mean the bird is content. If they stay puffed up all the time, however, it means they are sick. When they are scared or upset, they will slick their feathers back against their bodies and their pupils will be very small. When very agitated/scared they will make short hissing noises while holding their beak open towards the offending object, person, or animal as a threat display warning they will bite. Many will also make a growling noise when agitated or cranky.
Most parrots will make a quiet kissing noise when they are content and near you. It's kinda like a reaffirming/soothing noise used to communicate to you (their flockmate).

This is just a short list of what I've learned from reading and then interacting with my parrot. Hope this helps!

Most Reactions

Back