Help female lovebird plucking feathers on her neck!

Nemeroth

Aug 17, 2024
Parrots
2 lovebirds
Hello im new here and im really desperate about what am i suppose to do with my female lovebird,shes already several years old and its become her habbit to pluck feathers around her neck and tummy.At first it wasnt that bad but then every year it started getting worse and worse and now because so many new feathers are growing she constantly screams,probably because it itches her so much.
The vet told me she didnt have any infection but that she really needs a mate,so few months ago we found her a mate but there are more issues.... she has always been very agressive even around us and constantly attacking our skin when we let her out of the cage.
Only if we give her some paper as building material then shes kept busy from that and enjoys it ,but ofc i have done some research that you shouldnt give them too much paper all the time otherwise it stimulates them to constantly lay eggs.
Anyways the issue with her mate is that shes also extremely agressive towards him! when we let him out of his cage he was very happy to see her and went on her cage but she attacked his feet so he scremed in pain.One time there was even a bit of blood so now we are very worried, what are we suppose to do.
I did some more reserach and found out that female lovebirds are usually more dominant and males are more submissive so its sometimes normal for them to be agressive but i feel ours is very dangerous.
Im worried if i let them both out of the cage she is going to follow him and injure him badly,so what can i do?

Hi there! Do you have a dry climate? If so, add a humidifier near the cage. Make sure they have opportunities to bathe every day. Birds like to be clean daily, and that includes their cage. They also definitely need outside time. They need it for their feather health and also for mental health. In my younger days I used to have lovebirds in every variety. They are very diverse in character. I only had one that behaved like yours and never did figure out the feather plucking with that one. Sometimes it’s neurological. I would compare it to a nail biting habit.
Now, if I see the beginning of plucking, I rub aloe straight from the plant and coconut oil on the skin where they are plucking, and usually discourages the behavior. You can only hope that your bird doesn’t like the taste. 😄 every bird is so different, no matter the species. I hope that helps. Looking forward to hearing your progress. 💛Lou

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back