Help!! | Bird (budgie?) in retirement home

alexthetics

Aug 5, 2016
Hi,

In my grandparents' retirement home there are many fish and birds and one of these bird cages I'm a bit concerned about. The budgie (I think it's a budgie; small blue and white and some black bird; I typed in blue and white bird and the images that show up look a lot like it) kept in the cage (about 1,5 metres tall) has two sticks he can walk on, a ladder, a mirror, and two small coloured plastic jiggly toys and one wooden one, water and food, which is a very very plain bird seed with literally no variety. Just the same yellow orange-ish seeds. Nothing else. It seemed incredibly bare to me and I was wondering if this is how birds, specifically budgies if it's one, should be kept this way because, like, I have no experience whatsoever with birds but I would at the very least fill it up with toys and give it some more variety in its diet and give it a gosh darn hideaway or nest or something you know and he hasn't got any of that. I feel really sorry for the bird and here for advice on how to give him some more quality of life.

My personal plan was to ask the staff in the retirement home if I could pay for some toys out of my own pocket and decorate his cage a bit more, perhaps with some DIY cardboard hideouts or something or anything else I can just make myself. The items in his cage are only in the top half of the cage and there's nothing in the lower half at all and it looks pretty dead.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the basics of keeping a budgie/bird so I can maybe, just maybe, give him some quality of life instead of just the basics.

Kindly,

Alex.

Alelx, first of all, welcome to the Parrot Forums. And secondly, thank you so very much for caring about this little winged soul. Although I can't help (not familiar with budgies) there are folks here that are EXPERTS and can advise you well.

Hello Alex and welcome to the forum! I think it's wonderful that you are going to enrich that budgie's life. My budgies love to shred things, so I would add some things that he can tear up. They also love millet, and mine really like leafs of Romaine lettuce or Kale attached to the cage where they can nibble on it. Bless you for wanting to help out with this and please let us know how he is doing.

Thank you both for replying! I'm not sure how happy the staff is going to be with millet sprays but I'll try my best. :) I'm not sure if feeding him vegetables is going to work as he is a budgie in a retirement home and while any animal should be properly cared for, it's not the staff's top priority. I should also note that I can't care for him either as I'm only visiting and don't actually live anywhere near the bird (he's in Ontario, Canada. I'm a visitor from The Netherlands. Distance is an issue. Cri.) and can't bring him fresh veggies and whatnot every day. The best I can likely offer him is a new seed mix and I could try talking to staff about it but I'm not sure if they'll listen. The best I can likely do for the budgie is get him new toys to keep him somewhat entertained. I was thinking of getting him a new perch with a different texture and definitely a hideaway of some sorts as he has none. Is there anything I can do with cardboard boxes or anything or does that not work for small birds? I use cardboard boxes for my hamster but that's an entirely different animal lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you lived far away:)
Definitely perches, I completely forgot that. I would add some that are made from different materials and different diameters that are appropriate for his size, and if possible a natural branch would be appreciated by him as well. Budgies also love swings.
The food may be a harder sell since they will be buying it after you are gone, but perhaps you could talk them into it. Tropimix is a great food that they could mix into his seeds if they wanted and it would last longer and give him more nutrition.
https://ca-en.hagen.com/Bird/Nutrition/Extruded/80600

I hope you are enjoying your holiday here in Canada!

Buggies are 100% parrot and a happy parrot is way more entertaining ,and animated then one bored out of its skull. Since you can't be there on a regular basis, I'd try for more permanent changes, like a swing, and perches, some toys. The residents might be surprised at the changes in the little guy

Thank you for joining, Alex, and especially for taking an interest in your grandparent's bird. You can make a huge difference and possibly motivate the staff to provide just a bit of assistance.

Perches, toys, and a swing will make the cage far more comfortable. Supplementing the all-seed diet with a quality pellet is beneficial. Providing varied vegetables and fruits will help keep him healthy. One of the biggest complaints folks have about birds is the mess that lands on the floor. A seed-guard or catch surrounding the cage will be appreciated by the cleaning staff.

I feel the need to note that staff probably isn't able to provide fresh vegetables or fruits for him as most of the food served for the elders is, well, made for those who need assistance with eating and stuff, so it's close to smushy food. I'm also not sure how they prepare the food, whether it's pre-smushed or actually created from fresh vegetables. I'll ask around if staff allows me to help the bird.

He has a small swing at the top of the cage but I haven't seen him using it much, possibly because of the location? The top of the cage is closed by the way, just this brown wooden lid that I couldn't take off in any way either. I'm definitely going to get some perches, but I'd already decided on that lol. Does he (or she, I don't know what sex he is really) need a hut or a grass nest to possibly retreat in when he needs a bit more peace and quiet? Do I need to place them in the lower half of the cage too or just focus on the top half? And what kind of toys am I looking for? Millet and paper are on the list if staff is okay with the possible mess it gives, but is it just one of the many colourful plastic or wooden hanging things that I see in pet shops that are considered toys?

I think it is so cool you have taken an interest in a bird that is transient in your life! :)

Soft smashed veggies and/or fruits are better than none, provided there are not harmful substances mixed in. Seniors generally prefer bland food, so probably nothing much added besides butter or margarine. I really think the key is to somehow motivate at least a few staff members to take a personal interest in that bird - shouldn't take much time per day. Yeah, I know that sounds naïve and altruistic but you never know!!

I'll defer to those with budgie and smaller "aviary" type birds to help you customize the cage, but you seem to be on the right track. Perches to give access to multi levels of the cage will be nice, as are specific toys to the species. (just don't know what budgies like to play with!!)

Ya gotta do something during your holiday. :p

I doubt there are substances mixed in, but maybe there are actual vegetables in the kitchen too. I'm not sure. I'll ask them; we're heading there today anyhow so I might as well check it out. The kitchen is really close to the bird cage anyway, like literally a few steps through a door and boom you're nearly there, so I'm sure someone will be willing to bring a couple of veggies over to him a couple of times a day.

Thanks for helping so far man. :)

Perches that are actual branches of trees are the best because they have different diameters for the bird to perch on. If they are all the same diameter it gives them cramps in their feet. Good on ya for caring.

If you still can please let the staff know he or she may not eat the veggies at first. It can seem a waste of food and time to keep giving it food it doesnt eat.

Eventually he or she will start eating some of it and they will discover the favorite foods. It took mine months to start eating veggies.

So I thought about this for a little while. I also visit retirement/nursing homes on occasion. I would focus on what you could do in the short term that would last long term.

So the benefits of a good fresh diet are great, but you might not be there to clean out the leftovers or clean the bowls. Or you might not be able to continue this diet long term.

Their are good commercial pellet diets that are much more healthy then a seed diet and just as easy for the "Home staff" to use. I would just take the seed bag and replace it with one of these bags. (or leave several)

Toys and decorations are always great. Try to remove anything that looks tattered and destroyed and replace them with cool new toys in positions that the bird can reach. Parakeets love toys with mirrors. Especially if they little bird is alone.

Hope that helps. Anything you do will be better for the bird. Thank you for helping. :)

CD

I have to disagree about taking away the seed bag...budgies do need seed and the little guy could easily starve to death if he won't eat the pellets. Perhaps just ask them to mix pellets with the seeds.

Going to go to my grandparents again somewhere in the next three days so I'll see then if I can get to know who's in charge of the birds. Thanks for all the advice so far!

I'm late to this thread, but...
WOW!
What a good deed was done here, and how wonderful that members were able to help so readily!
I love this place.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back