Hello

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
My name's Seagulls, or just Gull. I currently own a 14 month old Goffin's Cockatoo, named Damian, and a 3 year old Blue-Fronted Amazon, named Leon. The G2 is currently "helping" me post this.

I used to have a lot more birds, but they had to be rehomed to a variety of reasons.

First was a Green-Cheek Conure named Maria (belonged to my mother), who got sick very suddenly one day. The following weeks of medicine made her despise me with all her little feathers. No matter how much time passed, she never wanted anything to do with me, so she was placed in a new home with a new owner she loves. Since my mother forced our sun conure, Rona, to be in the same cage... Rona copied Maria's behavior of hating me. And for some reason, we couldn't just separate them. (Grrr....) So Rona went to the same home.

Third was a Solomon Island eclectus female named Blaze that was dumped in my lap without my consent, by and for my mother. This bird is the source of some particular anger, as I needed help feeding her twice a day. My disabilities mean I need to get my sleep, and quite often that means sleeping all day. I couldn't do that because my mother wouldn't help feed the eclectus. So, I got very sick. My mother sold her to a couple that had already lost an eclectus, who insisted they'd stay in contact but never talked to us or anyone at the Parrot Society again. Shame too, she was a sweetie, if in poor feather condition from her previous home.

Fourth was a rescue Mini Macaw, Ziggy, who had chronic beak problems. Wonderful little guy. Hand-aggressive from abuse, but entertaining and otherwise sweet. I can't leave the house without help from my mother or staff from a local program. And apparently taking Ziggy to a local friend to get his beak tended to was too much (...Grrrrrrrrrrr....) . He's now happily living with another member of the Parrot Society.

And finally was Frankie (also belonged to my mother), a green quaker. Frankie started self-mutilating, almost killed himself. Only way we could get him to stop is by living with another friend and her elderly mother. Frankie now hangs out on the elderly woman's walker and is fed lots of things he really ought not to be fed. But he stopped mutilating, so who am I to judge?

Of course, since I can't talk very well (if at all, in real life), no one ever got to hear my side of the story. And most people seem to think I just throw birds away. I am currently trying to get a new macaw, since I really miss Ziggy. Hopefully one not as aggressive and bitey as him, but hey, I am used to getting bitten by big beaks.

As for the birds I still have. If my mom got her way, she'd sell my amazon too, because she thinks he's a bad bird. But I refuse to rehome another bird, I am sick of it.

I got the goffin last November, and he's an evil little booger. I've got a cat that's been raised around birds and has absolutely no aggression or fear for them. She'll stretch out right in front of a bird, waiting to get petted. Unfortunately, Damian wants to destroy her tail. I have to make sure she's safely out of the room when I have him out, for both their sakes. He loves people though. Complete strangers are his favorite because they always spoil him and cuddle him.

Welcome to the forum sorry you had to rehome so many birds I've had to regime a few as well :/ sounds like you have nice small flock now though

May as well add this to my intro thread.

As much as I want a macaw, I am also considering a White Belly Caique. I really can't decide which. The superficial money thing isn't really my concern.

Macaw would either be an Illiger's, a Red Front, or a Green Wing.

But damn if those little caiques don't make me second guess. They're just so cute and goofy. But then, so are macaws. Dilemma!! ):

What do the fine folks here think?

Hi Gull and welcome to the forum. :)

Sorry you had to rehome some of your babies.

If money isn't a concern, why not get both, a GW and a WBC?? :D

Because my mom is on a rampage again. Insists she'll sell my baby (the amazon) if I get the macaw. So, I can only go with one. The caique will most likely result in 2 caiques in the long run because of Double Trouble. She claims I rehomed my birds cuz I couldn't handle that many. When really, they each had their individual reasons as shown.

I can always wait and get a macaw down the line, when I don't have to rely on my mom. (23 and disabled, so fun. >_< ) So she doesn't have the opportunity to mistreat a big bird.

Though, I might be able to get a mini macaw without invoking her wrath, thus Illiger's Macaw or Severe Macaw.

I would like to toss out a thought. With being under you mom at this time , I think I would concentrate on the two birds you have. Your young with lots of time in your future. Wait until you figure out how to move out before adding more birds. I had to wait 15 years before I could get my first bird. It was heartbreaking at times when I work with other peopled birds and would come home to a birdless house, but I know that my lifestyle was not "right" for a bird at that time. I am not sure what your disability is but I know that there are ways to get help so you can life on your own. I understand how hard it is to wait. I am sitting next to a huge empty macaw cage right now.

It's long term dependency. Maybe most of my life. She always says I should stick to 2. But I want 3. Exactly 3. No more, no less.

With macaws, my choice has primarily been between Red Front and Illiger's. Both are so charming in their individual ways.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back