Hello

little1al

Jun 8, 2011
Devon
Parrots
9 year old Blue and Gold Macaw - George
Hi

I have recently adopted an eight year old Blue & Gold Macaw.

He is in a large cage in my front room and will be let out to fly when he is a little more used to me and his surroundings.

George is my first Parrot but I have done a lot of reading and asked a lot of people about caring for a parrot.

I work during the day but he has toys to play with and I leave the TV on for him. Then when I get home in the evening he gets loads of attention and loves playing 'Boo'. George loves to scream when he hears a baby crying and can scream like a six year old girl (picked up from his old owners children).

His favourite foods are: peanut butter on toast, walnuts, grapes, cucumber and dried banana's (and basically anything that I'm eating that I'll let him have)

We are getting on ok. I am the only person who lives in my house so I am hoping the quieter environment will mean that he doesn't scream so much and he gets my full attention when I am home. He gets quite easily spooked but I am trying to make sure he can see what I am doing and see's me trying new foods or playing with his toys first and that anyone visiting says hello to him. He is great at night and will settle down when I turn the lights out. He also doesn't make any noise in the morning until I get up, which is great.

It is hard getting used to the lack of quiet time and not just being able to slob on the sofa when I get home but I know it will be worth it.

Any positive advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks

Tell me about it, you don't realize how much work these guys can & will be. They can take up quite a bit of your free time for sure. But it sounds like you are making great progress. But this is the time that eventhough you are trying to bond with him, you want to make sure and not go over board and cause him to be to dependant on you. If he's not a needy bird now, it's best to keep it that way. Macaws are not birds you want to be needy to the point of being demanding. Then he will definately be a noisy bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back