Hello from AR

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
That's Arkansas, not Arizona LOL. I am the new mom of a sun conure. Her name is Cali, short for caliente which means hot in Spanish. We are waiting for DNA results but we're calling her a female for now. I just can't call her an "it". I'll try to attach pics. We also have a chihuahua and a yorkie. The chihuahua has accepted Cali but the yorkie goes crazy around the bird. Does anyone have advice for mixing birds and dogs? With supervision, of course. :42:

Attachments

• Cali1.jpg
    Cali1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Cali2.jpg
    Cali2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 145
  • Cali.jpg
    Cali.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 136
Yea I have a macaw and a dog. But the dog stays away but if they are in the same room together they don't bother each other but I still keep a eye on them

Cali is now Sunny. DNA sexing revealed he is a male!

Welcome and congrats on your new "son"

If they are in the same room, PLEASE always keep an eye on them, never leaving them alone for a second.
There have been many many tragic threads on the forum, and others, where the dog or cat actually killed the bird. Many of the dogs and cats, were "friends" with the birds, but in that one unfortunate moment, tragedy struck.

Thank you and yes, we watch them VERY closely. We keep them at least 3 feet apart and 99% of the time they are in different rooms.

Well, Sunny did not stick. We keep calling him Cali, so we'll just have a male with gender identity issues :)
Maybe Cali could be a boy's name lol.
He is doing wonderful. I'll post a new pic

Attachments

• Cali7-14-12.jpg
    Cali7-14-12.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 149
Hi and welcome! Congrats on your new boy. I have a sun conure too ( along with several other kinds of birds). I also have 2 chihuahuas. They get along fine with the parrots. In fact they are a little intimidated by them. I think it's because my African grey always tells them "no barking!". They don't quite know what to think about that. I'm sure your dogs will get used to your Sun. Like was mentioned before, just always supervise them. Sun's have no fear, and have been known to go after the dog. You will love having a sun. They are fun birds!

what a handsome boy!!! welcome :). you could reward your dog when hes quiet around cali and ignore the barking and maybe he'll quiet down. just allways supervise and dont let them too close to eachother and you should be fine :0)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back