Harvey is training Vet staff.. tips?

ChocoboFun

Mar 21, 2015
East Coast U.S.
Parrots
Perry: Standard green and yellow budgie.
Peep: Blue and white budgie.
Harvey: Hahn's Macaw
So when it came to the attention of certain vets, at my wife's Veterinary Hospital, that too few of the staff had experience handling birds.. My wife decided to volunteer Harvey for training. Good timing, I suppose, since he needs a beak trim. That thing gets sharp! But I digress.

It will mostly be your standard fare stuff, like using the towel and proper hand placement etc.

Anyone have tips/ tricks we should try to integrate?

Ok, if you are going to do this, PLEASE prep him for it first! Start toweling him at home Nd TREAT AND PRAISE every time! Teach him it is something to look forward to because it leads to a reward. I really don't like this idea. I know they have to learn on someone's bird, but please, watch him like a Hawk to monitor his stress level. If you don't watch out you will make vet visits a nightmare for the rest of his life, and he may even begin to panick when you put him in the carrier. In order for this to work, you have to make this something he participates in in a positive manor.

Also, please have a certified avian vet, not just a vet who sees birds, look into the REASON for the overgrown beak. Contrary to internet "wisdom" beak trims are not a normal part of a healthy parrots life and an overgrown beak can be one of the first signs of major issues such as Fatty Liver. Please get that checked out BEFORE the trim.

How many people? I don't own a macaw but I would be worried being restrained and passed around would be super stressful.

My human child has a ton of special needs and since most children's hospitals are teaching hospitals, they often want to bring in medical students and use him as a case study.

I will let this happen but I only allow at most two people to actually touch him so really the others are all standing around and observing. I would never allow a child or animal to be passed from one person to the next to be examined repeatedly. Maybe your wife has a game plan in mind though that will reduce the stress.

Good point on re-inforcing the towel as a good thing before-hand.

We never allow anyone to touch him without a treat first. As such, we will be bringing his nutriberries along, as well as a couple pistachios. Honestly, he makes more of a mess than he actually eats of them, but he enjoys them thoroughly, and hasn't seemed to mind being handled thus far, provided he gets a treat.

That being said, we've never had more than 2 people handle him at a time, and he can get overexcited sometimes, so I'll tell her to make sure to watch for that.

The beak is mostly just sharp on the tip. He always chews things apart with his lower beak so it stays trimmed down just fine, but he really never uses the tip of the top beak on anything other than watermelon. If anyone has tips for getting him to use that top beak tip on more things, I'm all ears!

It's all a guessing and watching game; lots of wooden toys, hard woods, soft woods, paper, pedi perches, just get him more interested in chewing as many things as possible :)

If he likes pistachios, give him them in the shell - he'll need to use his beak to open them :p

As far as techniques they should know - this might sound morbid but I practiced on a dead pigeon from the butchers first, before I handled a live bird! They can practice wing trims, correct holding procedure, health checks, etc on an animal that isn't going to mind...

I think it’s a very good idea. You’ve gotten some awesome advice already, and the reason I think it’s a good idea is because Harvey will also learn a lot from this. If done carefully and gently, it will help with socialization.

Please bear in mind that a bird can have a seizure when suddenly put under a lot of stress, so do watch out and keep a very close eye on him. :)
http://www.parrotforums.com/caiques/54687-had-rescue-poor-guy.html

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm still not 100% sure when exactly this is happening, but we are practicing with him as we can.

I'll update this afterwards to let everyone know how it goes!

Harvey did phenomonal with the training! He is so well behaved. The hardest part was keeping him from chewing off buttons... followed by keeping him still. He wanted to ride everyone's shoulder at least twice! Everyone loved him and keeps begging us to bring him back. He seemed to enjoy the attention.

Our vet says he is the sweetest parrot she has had the pleasure of working with, and refuses to charge us for anything involving her time. Only the labwork, the cost of which is completely out of her control.

What a sweet update on Harvey!!! Could you throw in a picture - or ten - for good measure, pleeeease??? :D

Most Reactions

Back