Grounded

Abu Colo

Oct 28, 2017
Columbia
Parrots
Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird, Strigops habroptilus subsp. fortasse
Way too many budgerigars
We took Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird :blue1: to the vet (great vet) and our bird was injured previously and was never treated. The seller was apologetic, but was not himself the original and negligent owner. Consequently the bird cannot fly as he cannot full extend one wing. He didn't recommend surgery as he believed it would be too painful, stressful, expensive, and was not guaranteed to be successful. So we now have a flamboyant kakapo. Nice to know that after getting him the enormous dream cage, which he will still shun in favor of his cherished carrier cage if allowed (birds are weird). It's sad that we will never see him fly, but also a relief that we do not have to worry about him flying away.

Tips, tricks, and ideas about games for unflighted birds needing exercise? I already am planning some low hanging food bowls to get him climbing more, but he already likes to carry his morsels back to his favorite perch.

Last edited:
If the damage isn't too bad, you could always attempt some physical therapy with him to get some movement in the wing. If done right, it can help them.

We have several sets of those large yellow plastic chains hanging from Saltys cage to variuos spots in the house' to his hanging boing, to his play stand, etc, almost like birdy high ways to go where he wants in the house. Lots of chew toys hanging from them - he gets lots of excersie. Check out the pics in my Gallery on my profile page to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

As stated above: "If the damage isn't too bad, you could always attempt some physical therapy with him to get some movement in the wing. If done right, it can help them." Limited range of movement is either bone structure, muscle or both. As so well stated, physical therapy will help.

The Wording that you provide, implies that it is likely a bone issue. Place a phone call or email your Avian Vet and ask for advise regarding physical therapy (movement) of the Wing. If the limitation is truly bone based, this will likely always present a permanent limit to movement. If muscle, that can be extended will proper physical therapy.

In both cases, it is highly likely you can involve 'some level 'of Wing movement and any movement of the Wing will activate those very large Flight Muscles that will provide exercise for the heart and air sack muscles. Also, as stated above: climbing is a wonder addition to Wing Flapping!

Thank you, for what you are doing.

but also a relief that we do not have to worry about him flying away.

I would not trust that you never have to worry about him flying and that vet. Fast forward: Maybe in time your macaw's wing is healed (sooner than you think) then your outside with your macaw this summer and a gust of wind lifts your bird and he starts flying away and crashes into a moving car, getting injured or worse so don't think you never have to worry about that.
The anatomy of a bird is all about flying, nature makes a way so don't assume.

I would get a second opinion from an avian vet like Dr. Scott McDonald, IL. He is a miracle worker for parrots and he travels all over the country, but I don’t think Florida.
He would give your macaw some gas to make him sleep then he can closely examine the wing, maybe he can manipulate it like a dislocated arm, then give you some anti inflammatory medicine for after with some physical therapy instructions. When he is doing this exam, really encourage the avian vet to try, in that positive mindset is where you will find a break through.
My gut feeling and I'm pretty sure he would also not recommend surgery but there is other things he could do.
During the exam if he says the bird is wing bound and there is nothing he can do and the macaw will never fly, again encourage The avian vet to try something, some alignment manipulation and maybe a shot in the wing of a steroid pain reliever or something, sometimes miracles really do happen and your macaw might only need a little manipulation in the right place. When the bird is asleep it will not feel anything.
Maybe this is not a good analogy but Chiropractors see this all the time, a pinched nerve or tendon in the shoulder making the arm hurt, often they can have success with manipulation and alignment.
If your macaws wing gets better then it can exercise flapping which is good for its physical and mental health.

Years ago we had a congo for 10 years, he was plucked for most of those 10 years. We brought him to Dr. Scott and asked him for help, he said the birds feathers will never grow back after that many years plucked and the birds feather quills are embedded in the skin but we asked if he could give it a try and pull out as many of the dead quills as he could to see if they will grow back. He said I doubt they will grow back but lets try it. At the same time we changed it's diet, bought a nice new cage and gave him free to a vet assistant who loved him so much but couldn't afford to buy a new congo. Long story short all his feather grew back over the next 2 years until he was fully flighted, it was a miracle, we told Dr. Scott about and sent him the photos, he replied "Wow thats amazing".
Here is before and after pics of Sassy.

View attachment 20037

View attachment 20038

View attachment 20039

View attachment 20040

View attachment 20041

View attachment 20042

Last edited:
but also a relief that we do not have to worry about him flying away.

I would not trust that you never have to worry about him flying and that vet. Fast forward: Maybe in time your macaw's wing is healed (sooner than you think) then your outside with your macaw this summer and a gust of wind lifts your bird and he starts flying away and crashes into a moving car, getting injured or worse so don't think you never have to worry about that.
The anatomy of a bird is all about flying, nature makes a way so don't assume.

I would get a second opinion from an avian vet like Dr. Scott McDonald, IL. He is a miracle worker for parrots and he travels all over the country.
He would give your macaw some gas to make him sleep then he can closely examine the wing, maybe he can manipulate it like a dislocated arm, then give you some anti inflammatory medicine for after with some physical therapy instructions. When he is doing this exam, really encourage Scott to try, in that positive mindset is where you will find a break through.
My gut feeling and I'm pretty sure he would also not recommend surgery but there is other things he could do.
During the exam if he says the bird is wing bound and there is nothing he can do and the macaw will never fly, again encourage Dr. Scott to try something some alignment manipulation and maybe a shot in the wing of a steroid pain reliever or something, sometimes miracles really do happen and your macaw might only need a little manipulation in the right place. When the bird is asleep it will not feel anything.
Maybe this is not a good analogy but Chiropractors see this all the time, a pinched nerve or tendon in the shoulder making the arm hurt, often they can have success with manipulation and alignment.

Years ago we had a congo for 10 years, he was plucked for most of those 10 years. We brought him to Dr. Scott and asked him for help, he said the feather will never grow back after that many years plucked and the birds feather quills are embedded in the skin but we asked if he could give it one try and pull out as many of the dead quills as he could to see if they would grow back, to give this congo one last try. He said I doubt the will grow back but lets try it. Right after, we changed it's diet, bought a nice new cage and gave him free to a vet assistant who loved him so much but couldn't afford to buy a new congo. Long story short all his feather grew back over the next 2 years until he was fully flighted, it was a miracle, we told Dr. Scott about and sent him the photos, he replied "Wow thats amazing"

Dr. Scott is and has been a wonder 'traveling' Avian Care Vet. That said, he is not travel as much as he once did. To my understanding he has pulled back to areas that set between Chi-town and Florida. So there is some chance that he could still be seeing some individuals in the area of Florida that he is staying during the Winter.

The major cities in Florida have excellent CAV's, which many are leaders in the Avian field.

Understanding that if this problem is bone related, i.e. limited movement, simple manipulation and alignment is not going to allow movement past a physical halt point, like a broken joint that had healed and was not set properly years ago.

We have a conure who is a plucker, he has no feathers on his wings at all so can't fly. He climbs all over his cage, and his best buddy has the cage next to his and we have ladders and perches leading from one cage to the other. He does not let his non-flying status hold him back at all, and can run faster than any bird we have.
Your macaw may get used to his large cage, and moving around it by using the bars can give him some exercise. I'm so sorry that he was injured and the previous owners ignored it, but am so glad he is now with you as it is obvious you are going to do everything in your power to help him now.

As our own avian vet explained the problem is likely osteal and would require (after x-rays) the vet to fracture the bones around the carpus (the elbow or "wrist" of the wing) to try and reset the bones, obviously a painful procedure that he could not guarantee would be successful. It is not something I imagine therapy could solve, and when a doctor recommends not pursuing a course of treatment, it is probably wise to heed his advice.

I do not have any information about the original owner, and my guess is Colo was likely attacked by another bird when a hatchling and the bite crushed his wing and was neglected. He cannot fan his left wing out and while the doctor initially suggested the lame wing would result in a lopsided flight pattern, on closer examination he doubted the bird could fly at all or should. A poorly administered diet and lack of exercise has left him with excess fat along his torso, not a lot, but still unusual for his species. Of course he has been on pellet diets the two months we have had him. I have him on my arm when I get the mail, and he is becoming something of a local celebrity, but sometimes when the wind catches him his wingers quiver and he seems to want to flap them but knows he cannot make use of them. It is very sad, especially as there are few things more beautiful than the extended wingspan of a macaw.

So again, he cannot fly, and a very qualified professional has seen him and has advised against pursuing treatment. Otherwise he is healthy.

We have several sets of those large yellow plastic chains hanging from Saltys cage to variuos spots in the house' to his hanging boing, to his play stand, etc, almost like birdy high ways to go where he wants in the house. Lots of chew toys hanging from them - he gets lots of excersie. Check out the pics in my Gallery on my profile page to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

I like this idea. We had been looking at ropes earlier, but after the cage upgrade, we were thinking of just hanging ropes insides the cage for him to climb. The only problem with extending ropes to connect the cage elsewhere is that his foster mother cannot last more than a few days without rearranging furniture.

As stated above: "If the damage isn't too bad, you could always attempt some physical therapy with him to get some movement in the wing. If done right, it can help them." Limited range of movement is either bone structure, muscle or both. As so well stated, physical therapy will help.

The Wording that you provide, implies that it is likely a bone issue. Place a phone call or email your Avian Vet and ask for advise regarding physical therapy (movement) of the Wing. If the limitation is truly bone based, this will likely always present a permanent limit to movement. If muscle, that can be extended will proper physical therapy.

In both cases, it is highly likely you can involve 'some level 'of Wing movement and any movement of the Wing will activate those very large Flight Muscles that will provide exercise for the heart and air sack muscles. Also, as stated above: climbing is a wonder addition to Wing Flapping!

Thank you, for what you are doing.

The damage is done and the bones are probably fused together. I have tried the elevator game (lifting and lowering him on your arm; what I call "Tower of Terror"), but that does not produce a lot of movement. The only time I've really seen him flap is when he goes down the slide at the playground.

Wow that sound major serious, sorry for him :(
So if he will never fly again and the wing in question is maimed and possibly causes him discomfort, I would keep trimmed the flight feathers on the wing to lighten the injured wing's weight also less chance the flight feathers pushing up against the birds wing or arm pits, then grow out the good wing's flights all the way, just like the do with the Macaws at the Zoo. He is lucky to have you, we would love to see his pics?
Best wishes and Happy New Year soon!

I’ve posted a few pictures of him in other threads. His feathers are growing in (he was previously kept with another male scarlet who obviously bullied him) and an waiting for his wings to be whole before posting more pictures.

So....how are you guys today?

Just wondering how the wing was doing now.

Most Reactions

Back