Goffin’s Cockatoo Modifies & Uses a Tool: Have you seen anything similar?

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,

This incident is especially interesting because the cockatoo not only used a tool but modified it to suit a purpose as well…all without having seen tool use in other birds!

A Goffin’s Cockatoo living at the Vienna University stunned researchers by exhibiting behaviors never before seen in any parrot species. The bird, known as Figaro, went far beyond “mere” tool use. When confronted with an out-of-reach treat, he first searched for a stick to use, and then modified the stick so as to better suit it for his purposes. Figaro’s accomplishments are especially surprising because he had not been trained in any way, nor had he observed other tool-using birds. He seems to have “envisioned” a concept and acted upon it. Please post your own “smart parrot” stories below.
Read article here: Goffin
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Bird Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Bird Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio That Bird Blog Authors That Bird Blog
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Very informative article as usual! Which I have watched my Cockatoo solving puzzles with ease, they're just super intelligent birds. My Lesser Sulphur Crested would pick up toys and drop it on other bird's head, it's actually quite funny to watch cause she does it on purpose! She knew it was going to hit them on the head.

Very informative article as usual! Which I have watched my Cockatoo solving puzzles with ease, they're just super intelligent birds. My Lesser Sulphur Crested would pick up toys and drop it on other bird's head, it's actually quite funny to watch cause she does it on purpose! She knew it was going to hit them on the head.

Thank you; I'm smiling to imagine the Lesser Sulphur, thanks; no other reason for the bird to do this other than to "amuse" itself, it seems!

Happy new year, Frank

Hi Frank, Interesting stuff. I have seen my macaw take advantage of things around her to use for some purpose, but this past spring I watched her build and use a tool. She had been molting and was bothered by some pin feathers. After working on them with her foot she finally chewed a splinter off her play tree, something I had never seen her do as it isn't very chewable. She shaped it, tried it, reshaped again and then got that offending spot. Had I known what she was up to I would have videod it as it is a subject that fascinates me. However I only came to my senses in time to get a photo of a very satisfied macaw finally getting that itch.

Last edited:
Hi Frank, Interesting stuff. I have seen my macaw take advantage of things around her to use for some purpose, but this past spring I watched her build and use a tool. She had been molting and was bothered by some pin feathers. After working on them with her foot she finally chewed a splinter off her play tree, something I had never seen her do as it isn't very chewable. She shaped it, tried it, reshaped again and then got that offending spot. Had I known what she was up to I would have videod it as it is a subject that fascinates me. However I only came to my senses in time to get a photo of a very satisfied macaw finally getting that itch.

Wow...that is something! If you ever have a chance to video anything similar, it would definitely be worth publishing.

Happy new year, Frank

My parrots have a goffin, and he has always been the most "devious" bird. Years ago, they bought him a cage that "snapped" together on these pegs (if that makes sense). He managed to pry the top open and escape 3 times. They couldn't figure out how he was doing it, seeing as the top portion of the cage was pretty heavy and he isn't a very big bird. They caught him in the act one day, using a flat piece of plastic from a toy as leverage to pry the top from the sides. They watched him go though the whole process, and it only took him a half hour to dismantle his cage. They ended up having to put huge padlocks to hold the top on to keep him from escaping. Not bad for a small too'. He also will reach through his cage bars and grab clothing, and "taught" their other 2 birds how to hold a bottle cap full of juice in their foot and sip from it like a cup (as a treat, they sometimes get a capful of oj in their dish, which they used to drink out of in the dish, but he figured out how to use it like a cup and the others followed suit). It doesn't shock me that a too' figured out how to use an object to it's advantage. They are smart, mischievous little birds and seem to have a natural affinity for resourcefulness.

Last edited:
My parrots have a goffin, and he has always been the most "devious" bird. Years ago, they bought him a cage that "snapped" together on these pegs (if that makes sense). He managed to pry the top open and escape 3 times. They couldn't figure out how he was doing it, seeing as the top portion of the cage was pretty heavy and he isn't a very big bird. They caught him in the act one day, using a flat piece of plastic from a toy as leverage to pry the top from the sides. They watched him go though the whole process, and it only took him a half hour to dismantle his cage. They ended up having to put huge padlocks to hold the top on to keep him from escaping. Not bad for a small too'. He also will reach through his cage bars and grab clothing, and "taught" their other 2 birds how to hold a bottle cap full of juice in their foot and sip from it like a cup (as a treat, they sometimes get a capful of oj in their dish, which they used to drink out of in the dish, but he figured out how to use it like a cup and the others followed suit). It doesn't shock me that a too' figured out how to use an object to it's advantage. They are smart, mischievous little birds and seem to have a natural affinity for resourcefulness.

Thanks for the wonderful story! This and the earlier post is comparable to what was discussed in the article; too bad publication in peer reviewed articles is such a lengthy process (if necessary, usually); well, I ran into the same during my zoo years...I have plenty of good notes, but publishing them would be quite a task., Well, great that we can trade info here...I'll file this and forward to others when appropriate,

Happy new year, Frank

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back